1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus based kinematics problem.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A trolley is released from rest from the top of a runway which is 8m long. The displacement, s in metres, of the trolley is given by the expression(see below) where t is in seconds. Using calculus initially determine (a) an expression for the velocity of the trolley (b) the acceleration of the trolley (c) the time it takes the trolley to reach the bottom of the runway (d) the velocity of the trolley at the bottom of the runway.

2. Relevant equations
    s=2t+t2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I differentiated the displacement expression once to get a velocity expression and twice to get an acceleration expression. Can't quite figure out how to do (c) or (d) though, as my calculus is pretty rusty.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    You have an expression for displacement in terms of t (time). You know the length of the runway, therefore you can find the time it takes to travel down said runway, yes?

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    slip of the brain. I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook