How Do You Calculate Force in Equilibrium Using Calculus?

• Thread starter BigFlorida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves determining the required force F to hold a weight in equilibrium at a given distance x, using the equations Tcos(theta) = W and Tsin(theta) = F. The first part involves finding F/W as a series of powers of theta, while the second part involves finding F/W as a series of powers of x/l. This can be solved using a binomial expansion.
BigFlorida

Homework Statement

• The figure shows a heavy weight suspended by a cable and pulled to one side by a force F. We want to know how much force F is required to hold the weight in equilibrium at a given distance x to one side (say to place a cornerstone correctly). From elementary physics, T cos θ = W , and T sin θ = F .
    1. (a) Find F/W as a series of powers of θ.
    2. (b) Usually in a problem like this, what we know is not θ, but x

and l in the diagram. Find F/W as a series of powers of x/l.

Homework Equations

[/b]

Tcos(theta) = W
    Tsin(theta) = F
    sin(theta) = (x/l)
    cos(theta) = sqrt(l^2-x^2) = sqrt(1-(x/l)^2)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was a relatively simple solve, it was just a power series of the tangent function.

The second part is what I am stuck on.

I have (F/W) = (x/l)(1/sqrt(1-(x/l)^2)), but I have no clue how to turn the right side of this equation into a power series. Should I just create 2 different functions (one where x is a function of l and another where l is a function of x) and write 2 power series, or is there a way that I am not seeing? I have also tried just letting theta = arcsin(x/l) and substituting that into the power series I found in part 1, but that solution was incorrect. I am at a complete loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I solved it. It was a simple binomial expansion that I was overlooking.

I am still struck at the second part. can you please explain how you have solved it.
Thanks in advance

Likes Ozymandias_II

1. What is calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is a branch of physics that uses calculus to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to understand the motion, forces, and energy of objects.

2. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to describe and analyze the motion of objects. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other by using mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals to calculate changes in position, velocity, acceleration, and other physical quantities.

3. What are the main concepts covered in calculus-based physics?

The main concepts covered in calculus-based physics include kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, rotational motion, oscillations and waves, and thermodynamics. These concepts help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and how they interact with their environment.

4. Why is calculus-based physics important?

Calculus-based physics is important because it allows us to make precise and accurate predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It is the foundation of many engineering and scientific fields and is essential for understanding and advancing our knowledge of the natural world.

5. What are the key differences between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics?

The main difference between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics is the use of mathematical tools. While algebra-based physics uses basic algebraic equations, calculus-based physics relies on more advanced mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals. This allows for a more precise and detailed analysis of physical systems.