1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus-based Physics Question

1. May 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

• The figure shows a heavy weight suspended by a cable and pulled to one side by a force F. We want to know how much force F is required to hold the weight in equilibrium at a given distance x to one side (say to place a cornerstone correctly). From elementary physics, T cos θ = W , and T sin θ = F .
      1. (a) Find F/W as a series of powers of θ.

2. (b) Usually in a problem like this, what we know is not θ, but x

and l in the diagram. Find F/W as a series of powers of x/l.

2. Relevant equations

Tcos(theta) = W
      Tsin(theta) = F
      sin(theta) = (x/l)
      cos(theta) = sqrt(l^2-x^2) = sqrt(1-(x/l)^2)[/B]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part was a relatively simple solve, it was just a power series of the tangent function.

The second part is what I am stuck on.

I have (F/W) = (x/l)(1/sqrt(1-(x/l)^2)), but I have no clue how to turn the right side of this equation into a power series. Should I just create 2 different functions (one where x is a function of l and another where l is a function of x) and write 2 power series, or is there a way that I am not seeing? I have also tried just letting theta = arcsin(x/l) and substituting that into the power series I found in part 1, but that solution was incorrect. I am at a complete loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2015 #2
    Never mind, I solved it. It was a simple binomial expansion that I was overlooking.

4. Aug 28, 2015 #3
    I am still struck at the second part. can you please explain how you have solved it.
    Thanks in advance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook