Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculus II - Partial Fractions - Evaluate integral dx/(x^4-10x^2+9)

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate integral dx/(x^4-10x^2+9)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I'm trying to solve this problem for my calculus II course as a homework problem and am lost.

The first attachment you'll see how I attempted to evaluate the integral by setting u = x^2, which resulted in

1/2 integral dx/(sqrt(u)(u^2-16u+9))

I then factored u^2-16u+9 by finding the solution of what u is equal to using the quadratic formula and got this as my new resulting integral

1/2 integral du/(sqrt(u)(u-8+sqrt(55))(u-8-sqrt(55)))

I then tried to result this into partial fractions in order to evaluate the integral in form

A/sqrt(u) + B/(u-8+sqrt(55)) + C/(u-8-sqrt(55))

When I solved for A, B, and C, I got

A = 1/9
    B = -1/(2 sqrt(55) sqrt(8+sqrt(55)) )
    C = 1/(2 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55) )

When I then tried to evaluate each separate integral I got

x/9 - 1/(4 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55))) ln|x^2 - 8 + sqrt(55)| + 1/(4 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55) ) ) ln|x^2 - 8 - sqrt(55)| + c

I guess I did something wrong...

I than tried to evaluate the integral using trig substitution as you will see in the the second attachment, i crossed off my first attempt and just got to the point were i decided it was getting to complicated for calculus II I had to make two trig substitutions using two different triangles.

I'm lost thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

• try.jpg
      try.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • try2.jpg
      try2.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Factor x^4-10*x^2+9. It splits completely into linear factors. Then use partial fractions.

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    oh wow thanks =) i over complicated it a bit much

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook