1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II - Partial Fractions - Evaluate integral dx/(x^4-10x^2+9)

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate integral dx/(x^4-10x^2+9)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I'm trying to solve this problem for my calculus II course as a homework problem and am lost.

The first attachment you'll see how I attempted to evaluate the integral by setting u = x^2, which resulted in

1/2 integral dx/(sqrt(u)(u^2-16u+9))

I then factored u^2-16u+9 by finding the solution of what u is equal to using the quadratic formula and got this as my new resulting integral

1/2 integral du/(sqrt(u)(u-8+sqrt(55))(u-8-sqrt(55)))

I then tried to result this into partial fractions in order to evaluate the integral in form

A/sqrt(u) + B/(u-8+sqrt(55)) + C/(u-8-sqrt(55))

When I solved for A, B, and C, I got

A = 1/9
    B = -1/(2 sqrt(55) sqrt(8+sqrt(55)) )
    C = 1/(2 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55) )

When I then tried to evaluate each separate integral I got

x/9 - 1/(4 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55))) ln|x^2 - 8 + sqrt(55)| + 1/(4 sqrt(55) sqrt(8 + sqrt(55) ) ) ln|x^2 - 8 - sqrt(55)| + c

I guess I did something wrong...

I than tried to evaluate the integral using trig substitution as you will see in the the second attachment, i crossed off my first attempt and just got to the point were i decided it was getting to complicated for calculus II I had to make two trig substitutions using two different triangles.

I'm lost thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

• try.jpg
      try.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • try2.jpg
      try2.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Factor x^4-10*x^2+9. It splits completely into linear factors. Then use partial fractions.

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    oh wow thanks =) i over complicated it a bit much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook