How Do I Understand Octants and Graphs in Calculus III?

In summary, In 2 dimensions, the octant is the region bounded by the x y and z coordinate planes. In 3 dimensions, there are 8 octants, each of which is bounded by the x y, z and xz coordinate planes.
omohiuddin
I have a few questions on a problem in my first Calc III class. "The solid cube in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and x=2,y=2 and z=2, write the inequality to describe the set". I am new to the 3 dimensional cartesian system, but i still do not get the concept of the octants because i figured their would be 12, 4 for each plane. and also,
x^2 + Y^2 <=1 and no restriction on Z, how does this graph look like. I have been having trouble with those 2 problems. I would greatly apreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In two dimensions on the cartesian plane, you have four quadrants. When you include the third dimension, you may call the number line the z axis. This z axis points above and below the x y plane; above the x y plane will be four octants and below the x y plane will be another four octants. 4 + 4 = 8.

omohiuddin said:
I have a few questions on a problem in my first Calc III class. "The solid cube in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and x=2,y=2 and z=2, write the inequality to describe the set". I am new to the 3 dimensional cartesian system, but i still do not get the concept of the octants because i figured their would be 12, 4 for each plane.
But you are not restricted to the coordinate planes. In the xy-plane you have 2 coordinate axes each having 2 sides: they divide the plane into 22= 4 quadrants. In 3 dimensions, you have 3 coordinate axes that divide the entire space into 23= 8 "octants". You can also, as nicktacik said, look at the signs: each of x, y and z can be either positive or negative: again 23= 8 possible combinations

and also,
x^2 + Y^2 <=1 and no restriction on Z, how does this graph look like. I have been having trouble with those 2 problems. I would greatly apreciate your help.
In the plane, [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 1[/itex] is the unit disk. Since z can be anything imagine the disk moving straight up and down: you have the inside of an infinitely long cylinder.

1. What is Calculus III?

Calculus III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of more than one variable. It extends the concepts of Calculus I and II, which focus on single variable functions, to functions with multiple variables.

2. What topics are typically covered in Calculus III?

The topics covered in Calculus III include vectors, vector functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. It also covers topics such as line and surface integrals, Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the Divergence theorem.

3. How is Calculus III used in real life?

Calculus III has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow, electric fields, and economic markets.

4. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus III?

Some tips for succeeding in Calculus III include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or professor when needed, and making sure to understand the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also important to review and have a strong understanding of Calculus I and II before diving into Calculus III.

5. How can I prepare for a Calculus III exam?

To prepare for a Calculus III exam, it is important to review class notes, practice problems, and past exams. Make sure to understand the concepts and how to apply them to different types of problems. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and explain concepts to each other.