Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III Question

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    I have a few questions on a problem in my first Calc III class. "The solid cube in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and x=2,y=2 and z=2, write the inequality to describe the set". I am new to the 3 dimensional cartesian system, but i still do not get the concept of the octants because i figured their would be 12, 4 for each plane. and also,
    x^2 + Y^2 <=1 and no restriction on Z, how does this graph look like. I have been having trouble with those 2 problems. I would greatly apreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In two dimensions on the cartesian plane, you have four quadrants. When you include the third dimension, you may call the number line the z axis. This z axis points above and below the x y plane; above the x y plane will be four octants and below the x y plane will be another four octants. 4 + 4 = 8.

4. Aug 23, 2007 #3
  5. Aug 24, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you are not restricted to the coordinate planes. In the xy-plane you have 2 coordinate axes each having 2 sides: they divide the plane into 22= 4 quadrants. In 3 dimensions, you have 3 coordinate axes that divide the entire space into 23= 8 "octants". You can also, as nicktacik said, look at the signs: each of x, y and z can be either positive or negative: again 23= 8 possible combinations

In the plane, [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 1[/itex] is the unit disk. Since z can be anything imagine the disk moving straight up and down: you have the inside of an infinitely long cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?