Convergence of Infinite Series: Determining Absolute Convergence

In summary, the three equations in the picture may or may not converge. The first equation in the picture, cos(n*pi)*ln([n+1]/n ), converges by leibnitz test. However, the first element in the sum, [sqrt(n)sin(n)tan(1/n^2)] , does not seem to converge. For the second equation, cos(n*pi)*ln([n+1]/n+1 ) , it is shown that it converges by comparison to a power series. However, the first part of the sum, 1/(sqrt(n)-1)-1/(sqrt(n)+1 ), does not seem to
WannaBe22

Homework Statement

I'm kind of new around here...Hope this forum will help me be a better future scientist :)
I need some serious help in the attached questions...I need to determine whether the series in the picture converge, absolutely converge ot diverge...
I really need your guidance and help...

Thanks everyone

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no clue aboue 1&3...
In 2-I know that cos(n*pi)*ln([n+1]/n ) converges by leibnitz test...But what about the first element in the sum? [sqrt(n)sin(n)tan(1/n^2)] ...

Attachments

• SeriesHelp.jpg
    SeriesHelp.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some hints. For 3) try simplifying 1/(sqrt(n)-1)-1/(sqrt(n)+1). For the first part of 2) try comparing it to a power series. You should know if x is very small x~tan(x). For 1) try expanding sin(1/n) in a power series, and then looking at the results.

The first one converges absolutly(and therefore converges) because each term is equivalent to 1/n^3 (then compare with Riemann's series);
For the last one, you can split the sum in order to eliminate "many" terms.

Last edited:
About 1- You've said each term in the series is equivalent to 1/n^3, why is that? Have you used Taylor's Series and if you did, how did you use it?

About 2- So we know that when lim_x->infinity_[tan(1/n^2)/(1/n^2)]=1...But how can this help us and to which power series can I compare it to?

About 3-
I've tried this:
Each two close elements can be written as follow:
1/(sqrt(n)-1) - 1/(sqrt(n)+1) = 2/n... We know the series Sigma_1/n diverges and so does Sigma_2/n ofcourse...But how can we compare the relevant series to 2/n if each two elements can be compared and not each one...? I mean...We can simplify the sum only by simplifying each 2 close elements, but it's not allowed (Because if we take the series 1-1+1-1+1-1... We can Write it as (1-1)+(1-1)+... and it converges to 0 or to write it as 1+(-1+1)+(-1+1)+... and it converges to 1 etc... ) ...So how can we make use of our "discovery"?

Thanks to you both and I hope you'll be able to continue guiding me...

About 2. According to your limit, you can say for example tan(1/n^2)<=2/n^2 for n sufficiently large. About 3, good point! But remember the sum of the infinite series is the limit of the partial sums. You've shown the even partial sums will diverge since it's the sum of 2/(n-1). Then the odd partial sums will also diverge, since the terms tend to zero, right? In general if you can regroup (NOT reorder) a series and make it divergent, the original series was divergent. You'll have to ask penguin007 about the 1/n^3.

Thanks a lot to both of you! I don't need any further help ::)

1. What is an infinite series in calculus?

An infinite series in calculus is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the notation Σ, which stands for “sum of”. The terms in an infinite series can either approach a finite value (convergent series) or continue to increase without bound (divergent series).

2. How do you determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent, we use convergence tests such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These tests help us analyze the behavior of the terms in the series and determine if they approach a finite value or continue to increase without bound.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric infinite series?

An arithmetic infinite series is a series where the difference between consecutive terms remains constant. On the other hand, a geometric infinite series is a series where the ratio between consecutive terms remains constant. In other words, arithmetic series add a fixed value each time, while geometric series multiply by a fixed value each time.

4. Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a finite sum if it is a convergent series. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite value, even though there are an infinite number of terms. However, not all infinite series have a finite sum. Divergent series, for example, have a sum of infinity.

5. How is an infinite series used in real-world applications?

Infinite series are used in various real-world applications, such as calculating compound interest, computing areas and volumes of irregular shapes, and modeling physical phenomena like population growth and radioactive decay. They are also essential in the development of mathematical models and algorithms used in fields like economics, physics, and engineering.