Calculus, Integrals with Natural Logarithms

In summary: Almost. You have tan^2(2x) dx in the integrand, so you want to isolate it in the substitution formula by dividing both sides by two.Then you put the 1/2 du in, and take the constant out of the integrand.Would the constant in this case be 2x? Oh wait, could 1/2ln|sec(2x)|+C, remove the 2 in front of the tan^2(2x)?Now you've got the right answer.Thank you for the help.
ermac

Homework Statement

∫tan^2(2x)/sec2x dx; u=sec2x; du=1/2tan^2(2x)dx.

Homework Equations

∫1/x(dx)-ln|x|+C.
∫1/u(du)=ln|u|+C

The Attempt at a Solution

This is me trying to rewrite the equation. (sin^2(2x)/cos^2(2x))/(1/cos2x), (sin^2(2x))/(cos(2x)).

Honestly, I feel lost trying to find a differential on the denominator, to change into the numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
ermac said:

Homework Statement

∫tan^2(2x)/sec2x dx; u=sec2x; du=1/2tan^2(2x)dx.

Homework Equations

∫1/x(dx)-ln|x|+C.
∫1/u(du)=ln|u|+C

The Attempt at a Solution

This is me trying to rewrite the equation. (sin^2(2x)/cos^2(2x))/(1/cos2x), (sin^2(2x))/(cos(2x)).

Honestly, I feel lost trying to find a differential on the denominator, to change into the numerator.

But you as good as had it after the substitution... you just need to use u=sec(2x), du=2tan^2(2x) dx... which you had, except for the fact that you flipped the two. Don't try to do all of what you're doing, when you had it at the substitution. Now you just need to substitute.

I'm sorry, but what two did I flip?

The two. As in you flipped the 2, in your du expression.

Instead of .5tan^2(2x), you should have 2tan^2(2x).

So, no changing into different trig functions or anything like that? Just ln|sec(2x)|+C?

ermac said:
So, no changing into different trig functions or anything like that? Just ln|sec(2x)|+C?

No, no changing into different trig functions, but you did forget that two.

If du=tan^2(2x) dx, then you'd be right.

But du=2tan^2(2x) dx.

That two needs to be accounted for...

Char. Limit said:
No, no changing into different trig functions, but you did forget that two.

If du=tan^2(2x) dx, then you'd be right.

But du=2tan^2(2x) dx.

That two needs to be accounted for...

Sorry about my guess and check, but would that two essentially come out to the front because of the chain rule, making it 2ln|sec(2x)|+C?

ermac said:
Sorry about my guess and check, but would that two essentially come out to the front because of the chain rule, making it 2ln|sec(2x)|+C?

Almost. You have tan^2(2x) dx in the integrand, so you want to isolate it in the substitution formula by dividing both sides by two.

du=2tan^2(2x) dx

(1/2)du=tan^2(2x) dx

Then you put the 1/2 du in, and take the constant out of the integrand.

Would the constant in this case be 2x? Oh wait, could 1/2ln|sec(2x)|+C, remove the 2 in front of the tan^2(2x)?

Last edited:
Now you've got the right answer.

Thank you for the help.

1. What is the purpose of using natural logarithms in calculus and integrals?

Natural logarithms are commonly used in calculus and integrals to help solve problems involving exponential growth and decay. They allow for the transformation of complex equations into simpler forms, making it easier to find solutions or approximate solutions.

2. How do you integrate natural logarithmic functions?

The integration of natural logarithmic functions involves applying the power rule, which states that the integral of x to the power of n is equal to x to the power of n+1 divided by n+1, plus a constant of integration. For example, the integral of ln(x) would be xln(x) - x + C.

3. Can natural logarithms be used to solve optimization problems?

Yes, natural logarithms can be used to solve optimization problems in calculus. They are particularly useful when dealing with exponential functions and finding the maximum or minimum values for a given equation.

4. How do you differentiate natural logarithmic functions?

The differentiation of natural logarithmic functions involves applying the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1/x. In other words, the derivative of ln(x) is simply the reciprocal of x.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculus and integrals with natural logarithms?

Calculus and integrals with natural logarithms have many real-life applications, such as in finance for calculating compound interest, in physics for modeling radioactive decay, and in biology for modeling population growth. They are also used in engineering, economics, and various other fields to solve complex problems and make predictions.