1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus notation question

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    When one writes:

[itex]\int^{t}_{t_{0}} f(s) ds[/itex]

Do they generally mean "the antiderivative of f(t), and ignore the arbitrary constant/pick t naught so that it is 0?"

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Antiderivative - yes, call it F(t).
    The integral is F(t) - F(t0), t0 can be anything - not necessarily 0.

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    Of course it can be anything, but I was asking if nothing else is said, then I could assume they mean an antiderivative with no arbitrary constant.

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure you're writing what you meant to. The above is the definite integral of f over the interval [t0, t].

If F is an antiderivative of f, then the value of the integral is F(t) - F(t0. t0 might or might not be zero, and F(t0) might or might not be zero.

If you're talking about this, however,
    $$ \frac{d}{dt}\int^{t}_{t_{0}} f(s) ds$$
    then that evaluates to f(t).

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5

Actually, I'm talking about what I wrote.

I am aware that f(t0) may be 11, 42, grahams number, or batman riding a trex. I am asking if the designation of "tee naught" is commonly taken as an obvious intent to notate an antiderivative with no arbitrary constant. I don't know a better way to ask my question.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. Apr 18, 2013 #6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor

Here is a very straight forward and common use of the notation. I'm asking if this is a routine and acceptable way to say "take the antiderivative and don't give me an arbitrary constant" since as far as I know, there is no other way to say that. I'm asking if I wrote that in a proof, people would know what I am talking about, but judging by the responses, the answer is no.

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem is a "floating pronoun". You ask if, in [tex]\int_{x_0}^x f(t) dt[/tex], "ignore the arbitrary constant/pick t naught so that it is 0?" What does "it" refer to? If F(t) is an anti-derivative of f(t), then the integral is F(x)- F(x_0) so, at [itex]x= x_0[/itex], the value of the function is 0. But you certainly cannot "pick t naught so that it is 0?" You cannot pick [itex]t_0[/itex], it is given in the integral.

9. Apr 18, 2013 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Near the top in the wiki article, they have this. (I made one change, from P(s) to p(s). You'll see why in a minute.)
    $$ M(x) = e^{\int_{s_0}^x p(s)ds}$$

Let's assume that P(s) is an antiderivative of p(s).

Then the exponent on e is
    $$ \left. P(s)\right|_{s_0}^x = P(x) - P(s_0)$$

So M(x) = eP(x) - P(s0) = eP(x)/eP(s0)

Since P(s0) is just a constant, we can write M(x) = KeP(x), where K = 1/eP(s0).

If you have an integrating factor, then a constant multiple of it will also work, so we can ignore the K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook