What is the Limit of a Complex Logarithmic Function in Calculus Homework?

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus problem involving limits and natural logarithms. The person asking for help is unsure how to approach the problem and is grateful for any assistance. The solution involves evaluating the expression at x=0 and simplifying the polynomials to get the final answer of ln(17/16). They also discuss using a calculator and reducing the expression to its simplest form. The person asking for help expresses their gratitude for the assistance.
Kstanley

Homework Statement

I have this problem on my calculus homework:

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \ln\frac{(\sin(cos(x))(x^5+5x^4+4x^3+17)} {x^6+7x^5+8x^4+9x^3+16})
[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to go about this. We really haven't been shown anything like this in class, and the complexity of the problem is quite intimidating. I would be grateful for any sort of help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try evaluating it at x=0 first.

I got a number like ln.0854, but that was with a calculator which I'm not allowed to use. Not sure how I would do it otherwise

Well, every x becomes 0, so your two polynomials reduce to 17 on the top and 16 on the bottom, respectively. Can you see the rest?

I have this.. is that all? Is there a way I can evaluate sin(1) without a calculator or do I leave as is?

[tex]

\lim_{x \to 0} \ln\frac{(\sin(1)(17)}{16})

[/tex]

Yes, you have it in perfectly reduced form.

That was a lot easier than it looked. I spent so much time trying to make it more complicated then it actually was. Thanks so much for your help.

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function near a specific point. It represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value.

Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point. They also help us understand the continuity and differentiability of a function.

How do you solve a calculus problem with limits?

To solve a calculus problem with limits, you first need to identify the function and the point at which the limit is being evaluated. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation, theorems, and limit laws to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

What are some common types of limits in calculus?

The most common types of limits in calculus are: one-sided limits, where the function is approaching the point from either the left or right; infinite limits, where the function approaches positive or negative infinity; and limits at infinity, where the function approaches a fixed value as the input approaches infinity.

How can limits be used in real-life applications?

Limits have various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits can be used to determine the velocity and acceleration of an object, the maximum and minimum values of a function, and the growth rate of a population.