Calibration curve and concentration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating calibration curves for calcium and sodium using data from an AAS/FES for water analysis. The standards for each element are given with their corresponding absorbance values, and the goal is to find the concentration of each sample by plotting the absorbance values on the x-axis and the concentration on the y-axis. The conversation also clarifies that the calibration curves will only include the standards and not the additional sample data provided.
mimibajiduh
calibration curve and concentration??

The following is all of the data I have from a AAS/FES for water analysis. I need to make the calibration curves for calcium and sodium. and then I have to find the concentration. can someone please help me with this? i know that the Abs values will be one of my axes but I am confused on what my other axes would be. any help will be appreciated!

Calcium (422 nm/2)

Standards: Abs:
10ppm 0.06
25ppm 0.132
50ppm 0.245
75ppm 0.375
100ppm 0.44
Sample: Abs:
Outside Tap 0.295
Kitchen Tap 0.31
Hose Tap 0.23
Drinking Tap 0.23
Kress 0.061
Oaks Kitchen 0.145
Barkley Fountain 0.15
La Fetra Fountain 0.165

Sodium (589 nm/2)

Standards: Abs:
1ppm 0.09
5ppm 0.345
10ppm 0.525
25ppm 0.848
50ppm 1.275
75ppm 1.52
Sample: Abs:
Outside Tap 0.841
Kitchen Tap 0.762
Hose Tap 0.944
Drinking Tap 0.944
Kress 0.034
Oaks Kitchen 1.248
Barkley Fountain 1.208
La Fetra Fountain 1.208

Physics news on Phys.org

x - concentration, y - absorbance.

--
methods

how do I find the concentration?

It is given for your standards, isn't it? Or are you looking at something different from what you have posted?

--

ohhhhh! so my calibration curves are only going to be of the standards, right? because everything that I posted is all the data I have.

1. What is a calibration curve?

A calibration curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the measured values of a substance and its known concentrations. It is used to determine the concentration of an unknown sample by comparing its measured value to the curve.

2. How is a calibration curve created?

A calibration curve is created by measuring the response of a known concentration of a substance using a specific analytical technique, and then plotting the data points on a graph. The data points are then connected with a line to create the curve.

3. Why is a calibration curve important?

A calibration curve is important because it allows us to accurately determine the concentration of an unknown sample. It also helps to validate the accuracy and precision of the analytical technique being used.

4. Can a calibration curve be used for all substances?

No, a calibration curve is specific to the substance and analytical technique being used. Different substances may have different responses and require their own unique calibration curves.

5. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear calibration curve?

A linear calibration curve is a straight line, while a non-linear calibration curve is a curved line. Linear curves are typically used for substances that have a linear relationship between concentration and response, while non-linear curves are used for substances with a non-linear relationship.

Back