Calibration of an Interactive Whiteboard

• Thread starter Etherian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calibration
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating an interactive whiteboard with an IR camera, IR pen, and an arbitrary surface. The key challenge is calibrating the IR dot from the camera's point of view to the point on the screen's surface, and finding the best-fit transformation matrix using techniques such as least squares estimation. Additional resources, such as the "Wiimote Whiteboard" project on Instructables, may be helpful for this project.
Etherian
I am trying to create an interactive whiteboard with an IR camera (wiimote actually), IR pen, and an arbitrary surface. For simplicity I'll assume the surface is a screen. To know how an IR dot from the camera's point of view relates to a point on the screen's surface, I must calibrate it with a series of points.

I have a matrix [A] that represents the location of a series of points on the screen's surface S and a matrix that represents the location of those points as projected on to the camera's viewing plane C. From those points I am trying to figure out the transformation that must be applied to all subsequent points. If S is thought of as a plane in an ideal position relative to the camera (i.e. z=1, Sx,y=Cx,y), I know the situation can almost be modeled by:
[P][T]=[A]

where [T] is a 3D transformation matrix, [P] is a 2D-3D projection matrix, [A] is a set of three 3D vectors, and is a set of three 2D vectors. If that was correct, I could simply perform -1[A] to obtain the transformation/projection matrix for subsequent points. Unfortunately, I don't know the Z of the points in and don't know how to compensate. Also, I want to use more than three calibration points, but that would make non-square.

I have found many different materials on the topic, but none of them where exactly what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This problem is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org

Hello,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach to calibrating the IR camera and IR pen for your interactive whiteboard. It is important to have a solid understanding of the transformation and projection matrices in order to accurately map the points from the screen's surface to the camera's viewing plane.

One way to approach the issue of non-square matrices is to use a technique called "least squares estimation." This involves finding the best-fit transformation matrix that minimizes the error between the projected points on the camera's viewing plane and the actual points on the screen's surface. You can find more information on this technique and how to apply it to your calibration process in resources such as "Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications" by Richard Szeliski.

Another helpful resource for your project may be the "Wiimote Whiteboard" project on the Instructables website. This project provides step-by-step instructions for building an interactive whiteboard using a wiimote and IR pen, and includes information on how to calibrate the setup.

I hope this information helps you in your project. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of calibrating an interactive whiteboard?

The purpose of calibrating an interactive whiteboard is to ensure the accuracy and precision of touch input and alignment with the projected image. This allows for a more seamless and efficient use of the whiteboard for interactive presentations and activities.

2. How often should an interactive whiteboard be calibrated?

It is recommended to calibrate an interactive whiteboard at least once a month or whenever there are noticeable issues with touch accuracy or alignment. It may also need to be recalibrated if the whiteboard is moved or if there are changes in the lighting or environment.

3. What are the steps involved in calibrating an interactive whiteboard?

The exact steps may vary depending on the model of the whiteboard, but generally, the process involves accessing the calibration software, selecting the appropriate settings, and following the instructions to touch specific points on the whiteboard with a stylus or finger. The software will then use this data to adjust the alignment and touch sensitivity of the whiteboard.

4. Can an interactive whiteboard be calibrated without the use of a stylus?

Yes, most interactive whiteboards can be calibrated using a finger or any other object with a pointed tip. However, using a stylus may provide more precise and accurate results.

5. What should I do if the interactive whiteboard is not responding after calibration?

If the whiteboard is still not responding after calibration, try recalibrating or adjusting the settings. If the issue persists, there may be a technical problem with the whiteboard and it may need to be serviced or replaced.