Calorimetrey Problem - Final Temperature of water

In summary, the problem involves mixing 0.50kg of water at 80C with 0.050kg of ice at -5.0C in an insulated container. After the ice melts, the final temperature of the water is to be found. Using the equations Q=mcΔT and Q=mL, and the specific heats and latent heat of fusion for water, the correct answer is 65C. The mistake in the solution attempt may be related to the signs of heat entering and exiting, but the crucial step is to determine the heat needed to warm up the ice to the melting point before calculating with the specific heat of water.
forestmine
Calorimetrey Problem -- Final Temperature of water

Homework Statement

In an insulated container, 0.50kg of water at 80C is mixed with 0.050kg of ice at -5.0C. After a while, all the ice melts, leaving only the water. Find the final temperature T_f of the water. The freezing point of water is 0 C.

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT
Q=mL (heat transfer in a phase change)
specific heat of water c = 4186 J/kgK
specific heat of ice c = 2100 J/kgK
latent heat of fusion for water = 3.34 x 10^5 J/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at a solution which came to 68 degrees C (the correct answer is 65C). I've checked my math, so I don't think it was a simple computational error. I think I'm making a mistake in terms of my signs perhaps when it comes to heat entering and exiting.

Anyway, here's what I did.

Q(water) + Q(ice) + m(ice)L = 0

(.5)(4186)(T-80) + (.05)(2100)(T+5) + (.05)(3.34x10^5)=0

I understand that in the case of Q(water), heat is exiting, and in the case of Q(ice) heat is entering. And since the ice melts, in the case of mL, heat is also entering. I guess I'm just not getting something crucial, here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

The melted ice is water. Determine the heat needed to warm up the ice to the melting point, then calculate with the specific heat of water.

ehild

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the scientific measurement of the amount of heat transferred during a chemical reaction or physical change.

2. How is calorimetry used to calculate the final temperature of water?

To calculate the final temperature of water in calorimetry, the heat released or absorbed by a substance is measured and then used to calculate the change in temperature of the water.

3. What variables are involved in a calorimetry problem?

The variables involved in a calorimetry problem include the heat capacity of the substances involved, the mass of the substances, the initial and final temperatures, and the amount of heat released or absorbed.

4. What is the formula for calculating the final temperature of water in a calorimetry problem?

The formula for calculating the final temperature of water in a calorimetry problem is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat released or absorbed, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. How does the specific heat capacity of a substance affect the final temperature of water in a calorimetry problem?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is a measure of how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of that substance by 1 degree Celsius. In a calorimetry problem, the specific heat capacity of a substance will affect the final temperature of water by determining how much heat is needed to raise the temperature of the water.