Caltech and mit graduate programs

In summary, to get into MIT or Caltech for their PhD/MS programs, you will need good grades (at least a 4.0), good recommendations, and a couple of acceptable papers and research experience. If your GPA is not strong, you should focus on improving it and taking more physics courses to strengthen your background. Pester a professor for recommendations is not recommended.
orthovector
My goals are caltech and mit phd/ms programs.

What must i do at the very least? Besides the tests of course...

Physics news on Phys.org
good grades (4.0), good recommendations, a couple of acceptable papers and research here and there

Okay...my gpa is poor...but my major was in biology from berkeley. I'll probably publish some things... What else can i do to get into mit or caltech? Shall i get acquainted with a professor from mit/caltech?

orthovector said:
Okay...my gpa is poor...but my major was in biology from berkeley. I'll probably publish some things... What else can i do to get into mit or caltech? Shall i get acquainted with a professor from mit/caltech?

I don't see that pestering a professor will help.

You were told you need a good GPA. That should tell you what you need to go: get your GPA up. You'll also need to get the appropriate background in physics, which means more classes - so now you have an opportunity to get your GPA up.

What are the admission requirements for Caltech and MIT graduate programs?

The admission requirements for Caltech and MIT graduate programs vary depending on the specific program and department. Generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, strong academic background, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require additional materials such as a resume or writing samples.

How competitive are Caltech and MIT graduate programs?

Caltech and MIT are both highly competitive schools, and their graduate programs are no exception. The acceptance rates for these programs range from 5-10%, depending on the department. It is important for applicants to have a strong academic background and research experience to be competitive for admission.

What is the average time to complete a graduate program at Caltech and MIT?

The average time to complete a graduate program at Caltech and MIT varies depending on the program and individual circumstances. However, most students can expect to complete a master's degree in 2-3 years and a doctoral degree in 5-6 years. Some programs may offer accelerated options for students who wish to complete their degree in a shorter time frame.

What types of financial aid are available for graduate students at Caltech and MIT?

Both Caltech and MIT offer a variety of financial aid options for graduate students, including fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships. These awards may cover tuition, living expenses, and other costs associated with attending graduate school. It is important for students to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

What is the research focus at Caltech and MIT graduate programs?

Caltech and MIT are both known for their strong emphasis on research in their graduate programs. The specific research focus varies by department, but generally, these schools prioritize interdisciplinary research and cutting-edge technologies. Students can expect to have opportunities to work on groundbreaking projects with world-renowned faculty in their field of study.