CAM Design with Non-Linear Force Profile

In summary, CAM design with non-linear force profile is a type of mechanism design used in engineering and manufacturing that involves using a cam to control the motion of another part with a varying force profile. This differs from traditional CAM design where the force profile is linear. The benefits of using this type of design include improved precision and control, reduced wear and tear, and customization for different applications. However, there are potential drawbacks such as increased complexity and cost, as well as the need for advanced techniques and maintenance. It is commonly used in applications requiring precise control, such as packaging, material handling, and medical devices.
Siddhant
I need to design a CAM composite with a spring for an exoskeleton to aid elderly mobility. However, the problem I face right now is that the CAM I designed provides a linear force profile, i.e., the force varies proportionally with the extension of the leg. How can I delay this force applied so that the force generated acts only after a certain point. Thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
More details... a sketch...?

1. What is CAM design with non-linear force profile?

CAM design with non-linear force profile is a type of mechanism design used in engineering and manufacturing. It involves using a cam, which is a rotating or sliding piece in a machine, to control the motion of another part, such as a valve or lever. The non-linear force profile refers to the varying force applied by the cam to the controlled part, which can be customized for specific applications.

2. How does CAM design with non-linear force profile differ from traditional CAM design?

In traditional CAM design, the force profile is linear, meaning that the force applied by the cam remains constant throughout its motion. In CAM design with non-linear force profile, the force applied varies, allowing for more precise control and customization of the motion of the controlled part.

3. What are the benefits of using CAM design with non-linear force profile?

CAM design with non-linear force profile offers several benefits, including improved precision and control, reduced wear and tear on components, and the ability to customize the motion for different applications. It can also help reduce noise and vibration in the machine.

4. What types of applications are best suited for CAM design with non-linear force profile?

CAM design with non-linear force profile is commonly used in applications where precise control and customization of motion is required, such as in machinery used for packaging, material handling, and assembly. It is also used in automotive and aerospace industries, as well as in medical devices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using CAM design with non-linear force profile?

While CAM design with non-linear force profile offers many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks. These can include increased complexity and cost of the mechanism, as well as the need for more advanced design and manufacturing techniques. It may also require more maintenance and calibration compared to traditional CAM designs.