Can a 220v transformer store electiric charge?

In summary, after assembling a transformer from a 220v power source, the speaker accidentally touched the primary windings and received an electric shock. They were surprised to learn that transformers can store charges like capacitors. The charge was likely stored in the parasitic capacitance of the secondary windings and the transformer should be fully discharged and not connected to anything on the primary to be safe. Transformer windings have capacitance to the frame and each other, which can lead to small shocks. Therefore, it is important to discharge transformers before handling them, especially after testing at high DC voltages.
chrisalviola
i turn off the transformer i assembled its from a 220v power source i touched the primary windings and surprisingly it gave an electric shock. i never know this things store charges like capacitors, how does this happen? any explanations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
chrisalviola said:
i turn off the transformer i assembled its from a 220v power source i touched the primary windings and surprisingly it gave an electric shock. i never know this things store charges like capacitors, how does this happen? any explanations?

That's a bit weird, but maybe the charge was stored in the parasitic capacitance of the secondary windings. With the transformer fully discharged and not connected to anything on the primary, what do you measure the secondary capacitance to be?

Is the case grounded? You might've built up some charge walking around, bouncing your leg, etc.

Transformer windings have capacitance to the frame and usually capacitance to each other because they are just two pieces of metal separated by a dielectric.

Large mains transformers tested at high DC voltages have to be discharged before they are safe as they can hold lethal charges for many days otherwise.

I just tested a small 250 volt transformer primary and it had 150 pF capacitance to the transformer frame. So, it isn't likely to be a problem in normal use, but you could still get a small zap off it.

1. Can a 220v transformer store electric charge?

Yes, a 220v transformer has the capability to store electric charge. This is because it contains a primary and secondary coil, which are insulated from each other and can store electrical energy.

2. How does a 220v transformer store electric charge?

A 220v transformer stores electric charge through the process of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current passes through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary coil. This voltage is then stored as electric charge.

3. Can a 220v transformer store electric charge indefinitely?

No, a 220v transformer cannot store electric charge indefinitely. The stored charge will eventually dissipate due to internal resistance and leakage in the transformer. The duration of time that the charge can be stored will depend on the quality and design of the transformer.

4. What factors affect the storage of electric charge in a 220v transformer?

The quality and design of the transformer, as well as the materials used in its construction, can affect the storage of electric charge. Temperature and external magnetic fields can also impact the storage of charge in a transformer.

5. Can a 220v transformer be used as a battery?

No, a 220v transformer is not designed to function as a battery. While it is able to store electric charge, it is not able to release the charge in a controlled manner like a battery. Transformers are primarily used for converting voltage levels and not for storing and supplying energy like a battery.