Can a Connected Graph with 2k Odd Vertices be Composed into k Trails?

In summary, to prove that a connected graph with 2k odd vertices composes into k trails, we use ordinary induction on k or on the number of edges. This proposition holds for when k = 1, and we assume it holds for k ≥ 1. We then prove that it holds for k + 1 by showing that a graph with 2(k + 1) odd vertices can be decomposed into k + 1 trails. Additionally, we establish that a connected component cannot have an odd number of odd-valent vertices, and that each component with an even number of odd-valent vertices can be decomposed into half that many trails. Therefore, the graph can be decomposed into k trails as long as each
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

Use ordinary induction on k or on the number of edges (one by one) to prove that a connected graph with 2k odd vertices composes into k trails if k > 0. Does this remain true without the connectedness hypothesis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If k = 1, the resulting graph is [tex]K_2[/tex], the complete graph on two vertices, both of which have odd degree. If we add an edge connecting these 2 vertices, we obtain an Eulerian circuit. Removing one edge reduces the graph to exactly 1 trail. Assume this proposition holds for k >= 1. I need to show that it holds for [tex]k + 1[/tex], i.e., [tex]2(k + 1)[/tex] odd vertices. Let G be a graph with [tex]2(k+1)[/tex] odd vertices. Label these vertices as [tex]u_1, u_2, ..., u_2k+2[/tex].

And that's where I get stuck... I know that since G is connected, it contains trails, but I am not sure how to work this back to k trails...
(Sorry about the latex; I can't remember how to make it not break to a new line).

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible for a connected component to have an odd number of odd-valent vertices?

Likes 1 person
No, a connected component cannot have an odd number of odd-valent vertices. Then could we say that since G cannot have an odd number of odd-valent vertices, there must be some (at least one) even-valent vertices which would indicate some (at least one) trails?

tarheelborn said:
No, a connected component cannot have an odd number of odd-valent vertices.

Right, so how does the 2k total decompose across the components? What can you say about decomposition into trails in each component?

A trail contributes even degree to every vertex, except that non-closed trails contribute odd degree to their endpoints. Thus a single trail can have, at most, two vertices of odd degree, so the composition of G contains 2k odd vertices, divided by 2 vertices per trail = k trails. That should do it, right? Thank you very much.

tarheelborn said:
A trail contributes even degree to every vertex, except that non-closed trails contribute odd degree to their endpoints. Thus a single trail can have, at most, two vertices of odd degree, so the composition of G contains 2k odd vertices, divided by 2 vertices per trail = k trails. That should do it, right? Thank you very much.

That's not what I had in mind. You know that each component of G must have an even number of odd-valent vertices. Where that number > 0, the component decomposes into half that many trails. In that way, you decompose a disconnected graph with 2k odd-valent vertices into k trails provided... what?

You are losing me here somewhat... I see that each trail has odd-valent vertices at its endpoints, so there would be two odd-valent vertices per trail. Then a graph with 2k odd-valent vertices would decompose into k trails provided the graph was Eulerian?

In the OP, you say you know that if a graph is connected and has 2k > 0 odd-valent vertices then it decomposes into k trails. Suppose more generally that a graph has n connected components. We've established that each must have an even number 2ki of odd-valent vertices, Ʃki = k. If the ith component decomposes into ki trails then we're home, right? How might that not be so? What condition are we missing on ki?

I think the ith component must have odd vertices; otherwise we have a circuit, not a trail.

tarheelborn said:
I think the ith component must have odd vertices; otherwise we have a circuit, not a trail.
I'm not sure whether a trail is defined to have distinct endpoints. Maybe a circuit is just a special case of a trail? But even if a circuit is counted as a trail, you will still not be able to decompose the entire graph into k trails. Do you see why?

The ith component would need odd vertices. Without that condition the graph could not be composed into k trails. Is that what you mean?

tarheelborn said:
The ith component would need odd vertices. Without that condition the graph could not be composed into k trails. Is that what you mean?

Yes. E.g. Consider a graph consisting of two connected components, K2 and K3. It satisfies the criteria in the OP (k=1), but does not consist of a single trail.

Likes 1 person

Related to Can a Connected Graph with 2k Odd Vertices be Composed into k Trails?

1. What is a graph theory trail proof?

A graph theory trail proof is a mathematical method used to prove the existence of a specific trail or path in a graph. It involves using the properties and definitions of graphs to demonstrate that a trail satisfying certain criteria exists.

2. How is a graph theory trail proof different from other types of graph proofs?

A graph theory trail proof is unique in that it focuses specifically on proving the existence of a trail or path in a graph, rather than proving other properties of the graph. It requires a different set of techniques and approaches compared to other graph proofs.

3. What are some common techniques used in graph theory trail proofs?

Some common techniques used in graph theory trail proofs include induction, contradiction, and the pigeonhole principle. These techniques are often used in combination with graph theory definitions and properties to construct a logical proof of a trail's existence.

4. Can a graph theory trail proof be used to prove the non-existence of a trail in a graph?

Yes, a graph theory trail proof can also be used to prove the non-existence of a trail in a graph. This is done by demonstrating that certain conditions or properties necessary for the existence of a trail are not satisfied in the given graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of graph theory trail proofs?

Graph theory trail proofs have various real-world applications, such as in computer science, transportation and logistics, social networks, and biology. They can be used to optimize routes and networks, understand social connections, and model biological processes, among other things.