Can a DIY job gone wrong be fixed without professional help?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, a rather posh lady called around to ask if I could fit a 13amp socket in her new house. I agreed to do the job, but warned her that a certified electrician would have to connect it up. I fetched my tools and started work, but when I got to the part where I had to chase out the wall for the socket, the block gave away and I damaged the newly decorated room. I decided to go to next door and check on the damage. I found that the newly decorated room had a neat oblong hole in the wall, the wall paper had ripped, and there was breeze block dust all over the white shag pile carpet. I decided to fix the wall, but wait on
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A rather posh lady called around, she had heard that i used to be a sparky, she wanted me to fit a 13amp socket
in her new house, sure i said i can do do the donkey work but a certified electrician would have to connect it up.

So i went around to her house and eyed the job up, no problem i thought i will be done in a couple of hours.
I went home and gathered my up my tools, a quick cup of tea and the lady said she was going away for the week and would i be ok on my own, no problem i said .

The first job was to chase out the wall for the cable and socket, so i fetched out my bolster chisel and started work,
all went well until it came to chasing out for the socket, the wall is made of breeze block and as i was hammering away the whole breeze block gave away (it pushed back about 2inches), oh sh1t i thought all the plaster has cracked as well.

I thought better look next door to see what the damage is, well the newly decorated room had a neat oblong
bulge in the wall, the wall paper had ripped and there is breeze block dust all over her white shag pile carpet

So what to do should i call a builder to patch up the wall. a decorator to re paper the wall (heck knows if i can match up the paper) .and what about the carpet, i have washed it but it looks grey in that area now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear, Woolie! No way to contact the lady?

I guess I'd get the patch work done, but wait on the wall paper. Who knows, she may have been ready to get rid of the old stuff anyway.

The wall paper is new Lisa, i guess i could have a go at re plastering, it's the wall paper and carpet i am worried about:nb)

wolram said:
The wall paper is new Lisa, i guess i could have a go at re plastering, it's the wall paper and carpet i am worried about:nb)
Did you have a wet vac/steam cleaner for the carpet? It will take a bit of time washing the spot this way, but it should get the white stuff out. You should let the woman know what happened rather than hide it, it was an accident and not your fault the block was loose.

Likes Silicon Waffle
she is going to kill me Evo:nb) I used a wet brush on the carpet

Likes Silicon Waffle
OMG Wolly. It's been good knowing you.

Thanks digoff, nice knowing you too, i feel so guilty i guess i must make some effort to make amends.

Likes dlgoff

1. What does "I quick" mean?

"I quick" is a phrase that is often used to express a sense of urgency or haste. It can also mean that someone is moving or acting quickly.

2. What is a Hommer?

A Hommer is a term that is not commonly used and may be a misspelling of "Homer," which could refer to the ancient Greek poet or the popular TV show "The Simpsons." It could also be a slang term with a more specific meaning in certain communities.

3. Is "I quick, I've done a Hommer" grammatically correct?

No, this phrase is not grammatically correct. It is missing a verb and may have a misspelling. A correct version could be "I quickly did a Homer."

4. What could be the context for using this phrase?

The context for using this phrase could vary depending on the situation and the intention of the speaker. It could be used as a joke or in a light-hearted manner. It could also be used to express a sense of urgency or to describe a quick action.

5. How can I use this phrase in a scientific context?

This phrase does not have a specific scientific meaning or context. It may be used in a scientific setting as a metaphor or analogy, but it is not a commonly used phrase in the scientific community.