Can a Formula Create True Randomness?

• Thread starter Krunchyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a formula to generate random numbers, despite the perceived linearity of formulas and the nonlinearity of randomness. The idea of using a seed and a defined series of numbers is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using a simple formula like a "linear congruential generator" or using dice instead, due to the time-consuming nature of manual calculations.
Krunchyman
Now, this is a difficult question to categorize (I'm new here, if I should move this somewhere else, send me a message) and I think I know the answer to it but I wanted to see what anyone else thought.

Suppose you are without a computer or any type of hardware. Is it possible to use a formula to create random (or pseudorandom) numbers? At first, it seems impossible. Formulas are quite possible the most linear thing ever created and randomness is exactly the opposite - quite nonlinear. Whenever you run numbers through a formula, the numbers will always stay the same - nothing random about it at all.

However, I'm not sure. Is it possible to create a working formula that uses a seed - a defined series of numbers? You could then feed that into some type of equation for getting random numbers - some computers do it in that method, but they have hardware which is capable of processing millions of calculations, and providing randomness.

It's probably a silly question but I just wanted some input on what other people thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krunchyman said:
Now, this is a difficult question to categorize (I'm new here, if I should move this somewhere else, send me a message) and I think I know the answer to it but I wanted to see what anyone else thought.

Suppose you are without a computer or any type of hardware. Is it possible to use a formula to create random (or pseudorandom) numbers? At first, it seems impossible. Formulas are quite possible the most linear thing ever created and randomness is exactly the opposite - quite nonlinear. Whenever you run numbers through a formula, the numbers will always stay the same - nothing random about it at all.

However, I'm not sure. Is it possible to create a working formula that uses a seed - a defined series of numbers? You could then feed that into some type of equation for getting random numbers - some computers do it in that method, but they have hardware which is capable of processing millions of calculations, and providing randomness.

It's probably a silly question but I just wanted some input on what other people thought.

Why not use the same simple formulas that the computers use?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

E.g. a "linear congruential generator" as mentioned in that article.

Using a set of dice is probably much faster, since calculating by hand is pretty slow for most people.

Related to Can a Formula Create True Randomness?

1. What is the "Formula for Randomness"?

The "Formula for Randomness" is a mathematical equation that is used to generate random numbers or events. It is based on the principle that truly random numbers or events have no pattern or predictability.

2. Who developed the "Formula for Randomness"?

The "Formula for Randomness" was first developed by mathematician John von Neumann in the 1940s. Since then, many variations and improvements have been made by other scientists and researchers.

3. How is the "Formula for Randomness" used in scientific research?

The "Formula for Randomness" is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as statistics, computer science, and physics. It is often used in experiments and simulations to generate random data and test hypotheses.

4. Is the "Formula for Randomness" truly random?

While the "Formula for Randomness" is designed to generate numbers or events that appear random, it is not truly random. This is because it is based on a deterministic algorithm and can be replicated given the same inputs.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Formula for Randomness"?

Yes, there are limitations to the "Formula for Randomness." It is only as good as the initial seed or input used to generate the random numbers or events. If the seed is not truly random, then the output may not be either. Additionally, the "Formula for Randomness" cannot account for external factors that may influence the results.