Can a gravity fed pump effectively draw fluid from a tank at a higher elevation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a tank located at an elevation of 63 feet, connected to a facility 1400 feet away by a 24 inch pipe. The facility is situated at an elevation of 59 feet and in order to reach the suction of the pump, the pipe must first go up 7 feet for 150 feet before dropping down into the pump. The fluid in the tank is gasoline with a specific gravity of 0.72. The question is whether the flow from the tank can go down a hill and then back up 7 feet to reach the pump, with the assumption that the tank and pump are well-vented at the same pressure. The calculation of Npsha for the pump takes into
M4H4
Hello, I have a general problem.

I have a tank sitting at elevation of 63 feet.
With 24 inch pipe to 1400 feet away from the facility.
The facility is sitting at 59 feet.
To get to our vertical can pumps suction we need to run the pipe up 7 feet for 150 feet of 12 inch pipe and then drop down into the suction of the pump.
My fluid is gasoline with a specific gravity of 0.72.I believe the tank needs at least 4 feet of product (plus a few feet for friction loss) to flow to the pump.
63+4= 67 feet vs 59 + 7 = 66 feet...

So Npsha for the pump is... Patm-Pvap + (67-66) + pump can depth.

My question is, can the flow from the tank go down the hill and then back up 7 feet to drop down into my pump suction based on just the tank head being one foot (plus a few feet for friction)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is how it's suppose to work. This is assuming the tank and pump are well vented to the same pressure (usually Patm).

1. What is a gravity fed pump suction pipe?

A gravity fed pump suction pipe is a type of pipe used in a pumping system that relies on the force of gravity to draw water into the pump for distribution. It is typically used in situations where the water source is located at a higher elevation than the pump.

2. How does a gravity fed pump suction pipe work?

The pipe is connected to the water source and extends down to the pump. When the pump is turned on, the water flows down the pipe due to the force of gravity and into the pump's intake. From there, the pump pressurizes and distributes the water to the desired location.

3. What are the benefits of using a gravity fed pump suction pipe?

One of the main benefits of using a gravity fed pump suction pipe is that it does not require any external power source to operate. This makes it a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option for water distribution. It also allows for a consistent and steady flow of water, as the force of gravity is a constant force.

4. How do I choose the right size gravity fed pump suction pipe?

The size of the pipe needed will depend on the amount of water that needs to be pumped and the distance it needs to travel. Generally, a larger diameter pipe will allow for a greater flow rate and a smaller diameter pipe will result in higher velocity. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

5. Can a gravity fed pump suction pipe be used for all types of water sources?

No, a gravity fed pump suction pipe is typically only suitable for water sources located at a higher elevation than the pump. It may not be effective for sources at the same level or lower, as the force of gravity will not be strong enough to pull the water into the pump.