Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a photon of light become a radio wave?

Tags:
  1. May 21, 2015 #1
    Is there a way to change a photon of visible light to a radio wave? I know scattering and doppler effect can reduce frequency but is it possible to reduce the frequency enough to get in the radio wave range?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Wlecome to PF!
    Sure! That's what this is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    Good answer. My question is more about if there is a way that we can manipulate light to create radio waves easily. In the sense of taking sunlight, using some science magic and creating radio waves. Or alternatively, using the energy from the sun to create radio waves (through any means)

5. May 21, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use a solar panel to power a radio transmitter.

6. May 21, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Or use a single-photon detector to trigger a radio transmitter to send a short pulse.

7. May 22, 2015 #6
    I think that energy differs too much for directly transformation. May you can look on laser practices. On pumping phase we use exited energy levels so a high energy photon can absorbed and a less energy photon can emitted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook