Physics of noise picked up by a radio when home lights are switched off

In summary, a noise is generated when a switch is opened, which is picked up by an antenna and radiates EM waves. This can cause interference in the form of radio waves.
nikos adamopoulos
I would like to get an, if possible, detailed analysis of the phenomenon by which you hear a noise in your radio speakers when the home lights are switched off. It probably has to do with a wave packet emitted due to switching off the lights, which is picked up by the antenna of a conventional radio appliance. I would like to have a reference with a detailed analysis how this wave packet is generated and at what frequency bandwidth it is emitted.

Science news on Phys.org
The very first radio transmitter was a "spark" transmitter. So if there is a spark somewhere in the system (fluorescent lights), it will generate a broadband noise.

Likes berkeman
nikos adamopoulos said:
I would like to get an, if possible, detailed analysis of the phenomenon by which you hear a noise in your radio speakers when the home lights are switched off. It probably has to do with a wave packet emitted due to switching off the lights, which is picked up by the antenna of a conventional radio appliance. I would like to have a reference with a detailed analysis how this wave packet is generated and at what frequency bandwidth it is emitted.

The answer to this question really does depend on your existing state of knowledge.
Any circuit consists of Resistive, Inductive and Capacitative elements, not necessarily by design but because if its dimensions and shape. When a switch is opened, the Inductance will cause an induced voltage spike. That's a consequence of Lenz's Law and the spike will be of a polarity to resist the drop in current and cause a spark (greater or less depending on the details) and the current will gradually die down in a series of subsequent spikes. These current spikes can have a spectrum that can covers lf, mf, hf and vhf bands. This energy will radiate from the structure or appliance to cause interference in the form of EM waves. The EM wave is radiated by exactly the same mechanism that a normal Radio wave is radiated from a transmitter and antenna. (Radio Frequency currents will cause RF radiation from anything.
I suggest you start reading around the subject, which is very wide and covers a range of knowledge start level. This wiki link could get you started. Otherwise, you could do a google search based on 'elementary antenna theory' or some such terms.

1. What causes the noise picked up by a radio when home lights are switched off?

The noise picked up by a radio when home lights are switched off is caused by electromagnetic interference. When the lights are switched off, the flow of electricity is interrupted, causing a sudden change in the electromagnetic field. This change can be picked up by the radio's antenna and converted into audible noise.

2. Why is the noise more noticeable when switching off fluorescent lights?

Fluorescent lights produce more noise because they use a ballast, which is a device that regulates the flow of electricity to the light. This ballast can create a stronger electromagnetic field when it is turned off, resulting in a louder noise picked up by the radio.

3. Can this noise be harmful to electronics?

No, the noise picked up by a radio when home lights are switched off is not harmful to electronics. It is a low-level electromagnetic interference that may cause temporary disruptions or distortions in electronic devices, but it does not cause any long-term damage.

4. How can I reduce the noise picked up by my radio when switching off lights?

You can reduce the noise picked up by your radio by using a noise filter or surge protector. These devices can help to suppress the electromagnetic interference and prevent it from reaching your radio's antenna. You can also try moving your radio farther away from the light source or using a different outlet for your radio.

5. Is there a way to completely eliminate this noise?

It is difficult to completely eliminate the noise picked up by a radio when home lights are switched off, as it is a natural occurrence of electromagnetic interference. However, using noise filters, surge protectors, or moving your radio to a different location can help to reduce the noise. You can also switch to LED lights, which produce less electromagnetic interference compared to fluorescent lights.