Radio waves to gamma particle question

In summary, all frequencies on the EM spectrum consist of the same photons, with the only difference being the frequency and intensity. The frequency is a measure of the wavelength and determines the energy of the photon, while the intensity is the number of photons emitted at a particular frequency. An analogy can be made with rain, where the wavelength is like the strength of each raindrop and the intensity is the amount of raindrops. Radio waves, like all EM waves, can be described as consisting of photons, but there is still difficulty in detecting radio wave photons experimentally.
beermeup
Hi all, so iv'e been looking around and can't find an answer to a question i have. I have read articles on wikipedia and understand the "basics", but i still cannot fully visualize the concept.

Question: Do all frequencies on the em spectrum emit the same particles? i know that visible "light" is photons but do radio waves emit particles? or do they just interact with other particles in space/on earth? do xrays just emit radiation, is that there equivalent to photons ? basically what are the driving forces behind the phenomena, at the visibly, detectable level,

I am aware that light is both wave and particle, and that its frequency is directly proportional to its energy but i just need to asak.

Cheers !

Science news on Phys.org
beermeup said:
Hi all, so iv'e been looking around and can't find an answer to a question i have. I have read articles on wikipedia and understand the "basics", but i still cannot fully visualize the concept.

Question: Do all frequencies on the em spectrum emit the same particles? i know that visible "light" is photons but do radio waves emit particles? or do they just interact with other particles in space/on earth? do xrays just emit radiation, is that there equivalent to photons ? basically what are the driving forces behind the phenomena, at the visibly, detectable level,

I am aware that light is both wave and particle, and that its frequency is directly proportional to its energy but i just need to asak.

Cheers !

Let's be a bit careful of our words here. EM wave does NOT "emit" photons/particles.

EM waves are "made up" of these photons. I have to use that "made up" process due to lack of a better description. For example, water waves are made up of a lot of water molecules. One can naively think of EM waves that way, that they consist of lots and lots of photons.

ALL EM waves, be it gamma or radio waves, can be described by that picture. Whenever it is convenient to do that all the time is debatable.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Let's be a bit careful of our words here. EM wave does NOT "emit" photons/particles.

EM waves are "made up" of these photons. I have to use that "made up" process due to lack of a better description. For example, water waves are made up of a lot of water molecules. One can naively think of EM waves that way, that they consist of lots and lots of photons.

ALL EM waves, be it gamma or radio waves, can be described by that picture. Whenever it is convenient to do that all the time is debatable.

Zz.

ohh crud that's right, so radio waves are "made up" of photons as are UV and gamma and the rest?

beermeup said:
ohh crud that's right, so radio waves are "made up" of photons as are UV and gamma and the rest?
You could re-state that as "radio waves can be treated as if they consist of particles when they interact with matter". They behave as waves on the way from A to B - so why not say they're waves in that stage of their existence?

all EM spectrum consists of the same photons , the only thing that changes is the frequency and intensity.
Frequency is the measure of the wavelength and is a property of each individual photon emitted at that particular frequency , the smaller the wavelength the more energetic the photon.
Now intensity is how much of those photons at a particular frequency are emitted.

If we would make an analogy about rain we could say that the wavelength is the strength of each individual rain drop and intensity is how much of those rain drops we have.
As you probably have seen there can be a lot of slow rain and also there can be a small portion of high velocity rain drops which make a lot of noise when hitting cars and pavements.

Certainly radio waves' quantum description is in terms of photons as it is for light, UV, x and gamma rays. There is only the experimental problem of detecting radio waves photons, which I think it has not been solved yet.

What are radio waves and gamma particles?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that have the longest wavelength and lowest energy on the electromagnetic spectrum. Gamma particles, also known as gamma rays, are a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation with the shortest wavelength and highest energy on the spectrum.

How are radio waves and gamma particles produced?

Radio waves are produced by accelerating charged particles, such as electrons, in an antenna. Gamma particles are produced by processes such as nuclear reactions and radioactive decay.

Can radio waves be converted to gamma particles?

No, radio waves cannot be converted into gamma particles. They exist at different points on the electromagnetic spectrum and cannot be transformed into one another.

What are the uses of radio waves and gamma particles?

Radio waves have a variety of uses, including communication, radar, and remote sensing. Gamma particles are used in medical imaging, cancer treatment, and industrial applications, such as sterilization.

Are radio waves and gamma particles harmful?

Radio waves, such as those used in cell phones and Wi-Fi, are generally considered safe at low levels. However, exposure to high levels of radiation, including gamma particles, can be harmful and precautions should be taken when working with or around them.