Can a yoyo spin like spintop while flying around the air?

In summary, the modern metal yoyo with ball bearing works totally different with the old. It can spin about 5mins within one throw for some reason. And can it spin about 1min if I throw it horizontally?
tomyu169
modern metal yoyo with ball bearing works totally different with the old. it can spin about 5mins within one throw for some reason. and can it spin about 1min if I throw it horizontally? you may wonder about what is a horizontal throw. then see the video post below.

https://vimeo.com/39247415

To my disappointment, a yoyo that can spin more than 5mins vertically cannot even spin for 5 seconds horizontally? What leads the depressing result? Can someone give me a force analysis? I guess the tension and gravity is the key while it spin horizontally.

I think the yoyo spinning horizontally just like a spintop while flying around the air. And it do precession once we throw it because of the unbalance. So the way to keep longer spin time during horizontal condition is to reduce the precession speed.

According to the w(precession)=mgr/Iw
m -------mass
r -------- distance between original center of rotation and the center of mass
I ---------- moment of inertia
w ----------- the rotation speed of object

L=Iw means with a given throw the Iw is constant.

So the only way we can do is to decrease the yoyo’s mass and shorten the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this not just a matter friction of the string on the sides? When the yoyo is hanging down, the string is well clear of the cheeks and stable. The ball bearings are the only source of friction. But, when you are whirling it around, it only needs a small change in angle for the string to touch the sides and then friction brakes the yoyo.

7026256781_078eb42aef.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, so how should i improve the horizontal spin?

to shorten the string or tie a pipe-like thing to change the position of fulcrum and shorten the "r" in the equation?

to reduce the area of the wall which would cause friction? (like the gear-kind thing near the bearing which will leave the string away from the outer wall)

to make some hole on the inner side around gear like the picture showing, and let the air push through it to provide some lift?

or...? i really want to get a fantastic as well as practical idea to get it work!

1. Can a yoyo spin like a spintop while flying around the air?

Yes, a yoyo can spin like a spintop while flying around the air. Both yoyos and spintops rely on centripetal force to maintain their spinning motion while in the air. The string or stick attached to the yoyo or spintop acts as a pivot point, allowing it to rotate around a central axis.

2. How does a yoyo spin in the air?

A yoyo spins in the air due to the conservation of angular momentum. When the yoyo is thrown, it has a rotational speed and direction. As it travels through the air, the yoyo's angular momentum remains constant, causing it to continue spinning until it reaches the end of the string.

3. Is it possible to change the direction of a yoyo's spin while in the air?

Yes, it is possible to change the direction of a yoyo's spin while in the air. This can be achieved by applying an external force, such as pulling or pushing on the string, which will alter the yoyo's angular momentum and change its direction of spin.

4. Can a yoyo spin in different directions while flying in the air?

Yes, a yoyo can spin in different directions while flying in the air. By manipulating the string attached to the yoyo, the direction of the yoyo's spin can be changed. This is similar to how a spintop can spin in different directions by using a stick to change its pivot point.

5. What factors affect the spinning of a yoyo while in the air?

The spinning of a yoyo while in the air can be affected by several factors, including the initial force used to throw the yoyo, the length and weight of the string, and any external forces applied to the yoyo. The shape and weight distribution of the yoyo can also impact its spinning motion in the air.