Can an extreme electric field break down a conductor?

In summary, having a strong electric field at the surface of a conductor can lead to electron emission and disruption of the atomic structure of the material. This phenomenon is known as field emission and has various applications. However, the joule effect of the current may also be a problem, and it is often seen in the dramatic effects of a lightning strike. Overall, the bonding in metals is not as simplistic as it may seem, and extreme electric fields can have significant impacts on their functionality.
Mentia
Suppose you have a long wire. One end of the wire is close to a very very strong source of electric field. It is my understanding that the electrons responsible for bonding in a metal are also those responsible for conduction. If you have an extreme electric field near to the conductor, and those conduction electrons are pushed away, would this lead to breaking of bonds and discintigration of the conductor?

Perhaps my view of bonding in metals is far too simplistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentia said:
Suppose you have a long wire. One end of the wire is close to a very very strong source of electric field. It is my understanding that the electrons responsible for bonding in a metal are also those responsible for conduction. If you have an extreme electric field near to the conductor, and those conduction electrons are pushed away, would this lead to breaking of bonds and discintigration of the conductor?

Perhaps my view of bonding in metals is far too simplistic?

In case you have a very strong electrical field applying to the wire, the free electrons in the wire would be swept to the other end so in the first end, there are no electrons and the metarial is just like an insulator. The 'metal' then may become crusty

Having a strong electric field at the surface of a conductor can lead to electron emission (cold emission). It is a phenomenon that is used in many things.

Inside a conductor, an electric field will lead to a current, and in fact, before the field becomes strong, your main problem will be the joule effect: you will melt your conductor long before the field itself becomes a problem.

The same applies also to the emission of electrons: if you would put two conductors near each other in a vacuum, and apply such a strong field between them that you get strong electron emission, I guess (but I'm not sure here) that you would get much more problems with heat development by the electron beam you are now generating than by disrupting the atomic structure of the material due to the field strength.

The phenomena is called field emission and needs a potential gradient which depends on the separating medium.It has several applications and to see the effect at its most dramatic look at a lightning strike.

1. Can a conductor physically break down due to an extreme electric field?

Yes, a conductor can physically break down if the electric field is strong enough. This is known as dielectric breakdown and occurs when the electric field exceeds the material's dielectric strength.

2. What causes a conductor to break down under high electric fields?

Dielectric breakdown occurs when the electric field is strong enough to cause the material's atoms to ionize and create a conductive path. This can also happen if the material is subjected to a high enough temperature or mechanical stress.

3. Is the breakdown of a conductor reversible?

In most cases, the breakdown of a conductor is not reversible. Once the material's atoms have been ionized, it will remain conductive even after the electric field is removed.

4. Can the breakdown of a conductor be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent the breakdown of a conductor under high electric fields, such as using a material with a higher dielectric strength, increasing the distance between conductors, or using insulating materials around the conductor.

5. What are the potential dangers of a conductor breaking down under high electric fields?

The breakdown of a conductor can lead to short circuits, electrical fires, and equipment damage. It can also pose a safety hazard to individuals nearby, as the conductive path can cause electric shock or electrocution.