Can an object have too little mass to have a stable orbit?

In summary, the question is whether an object can have a mass too light to achieve a stable orbit around the sun. The answer is no, since the acceleration from gravity is independent of mass. However, the professor may have been referring to other factors that could affect the stability of an orbit.
josh0196
I was wondering, since gravitational atttraction is determinated by m1 * m2 / d2 * G , can an object have a mass too little to have a stable orbit, for instance, around the sun?

P.S: I'm new to this forum! Hello!

Physics news on Phys.org
josh0196 said:
...since gravitational atttraction is ...
How does this suggest unstable orbits for small masses?

A.T. said:
How does this suggest unstable orbits for small masses?

Wow, that's a fast reply :)

Yeah, I didn't express myself very well... I meant, can an very "light" object achieve an orbit around another bigger planet? For example a feather around the sun?
This question comes from something that my physics professor said: "the asteroid belt is formed of objects so little that alone could not achieve orbit around the sun"

I'm not from a English speaking country so excuse me if I mess up some terms and stuff.

The acceleration of an object from gravity is independent of mass, so no, there are no objects so light that they couldn't achieve a stable orbit. However it is possible that your professor was speaking of some other effect. I'd ask them about it.

Drakkith said:
The acceleration of an object from gravity is independent of mass, so no, there are no objects so light that they couldn't achieve a stable orbit. However it is possible that your professor was speaking of some other effect. I'd ask them about it.
Thank you :)
I'll ask him then.

1. Can an object have too little mass to have a stable orbit?

Yes, an object can have too little mass to have a stable orbit. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to their masses. If one of the objects has a significantly smaller mass, the gravitational force will not be strong enough to keep it in a stable orbit.

2. What is the minimum mass required for an object to have a stable orbit?

The minimum mass required for an object to have a stable orbit depends on several factors, such as the mass and distance of the object it is orbiting, as well as the speed of the orbit. In general, the object needs to have enough mass to generate sufficient gravitational force to counteract the centrifugal force of its orbit.

3. Can an object with very little mass still have an elliptical orbit?

Yes, an object with very little mass can still have an elliptical orbit. This is because the shape of an orbit is determined by the balance between the gravitational force and the centrifugal force. As long as the gravitational force is stronger, the object will maintain an elliptical orbit.

4. Is it possible for an object to have too much mass for a stable orbit?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have too much mass for a stable orbit. This is known as a supermassive object, and it is typically found at the center of galaxies. The immense gravitational force of these objects can disrupt the orbits of nearby celestial bodies, making them unstable.

5. Can the mass of an object affect the shape of its orbit?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect the shape of its orbit. As mentioned before, the shape of an orbit is determined by the balance between gravitational force and centrifugal force. A higher mass can result in a more circular orbit, while a lower mass can result in a more elliptical orbit.