1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can an object have too little mass to have a stable orbit?

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    I was wondering, since gravitational atttraction is determinated by m1 * m2 / d2 * G , can an object have a mass too little to have a stable orbit, for instance, around the sun?

P.S: I'm new to this forum! Hello!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does this suggest unstable orbits for small masses?

4. Mar 2, 2016 #3
    Wow, that's a fast reply :)

Yeah, I didn't express myself very well... I meant, can an very "light" object achieve an orbit around another bigger planet? For example a feather around the sun?
    This question comes from something that my physics professor said: "the asteroid belt is formed of objects so little that alone could not achieve orbit around the sun"

I'm not from a English speaking country so excuse me if I mess up some terms and stuff.

5. Mar 2, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The acceleration of an object from gravity is independent of mass, so no, there are no objects so light that they couldn't achieve a stable orbit. However it is possible that your professor was speaking of some other effect. I'd ask them about it.

6. Mar 2, 2016 #5
    Thank you :)
    I'll ask him then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted