Can an object have too little mass to have a stable orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
josh0196
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I was wondering, since gravitational atttraction is determinated by m1 * m2 / d2 * G , can an object have a mass too little to have a stable orbit, for instance, around the sun?

P.S: I'm new to this forum! Hello!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
josh0196 said:
...since gravitational atttraction is ...
How does this suggest unstable orbits for small masses?
 
A.T. said:
How does this suggest unstable orbits for small masses?

Wow, that's a fast reply :)

Yeah, I didn't express myself very well... I meant, can an very "light" object achieve an orbit around another bigger planet? For example a feather around the sun?
This question comes from something that my physics professor said: "the asteroid belt is formed of objects so little that alone could not achieve orbit around the sun"

I'm not from a English speaking country so excuse me if I mess up some terms and stuff.
 
The acceleration of an object from gravity is independent of mass, so no, there are no objects so light that they couldn't achieve a stable orbit. However it is possible that your professor was speaking of some other effect. I'd ask them about it.
 
Drakkith said:
The acceleration of an object from gravity is independent of mass, so no, there are no objects so light that they couldn't achieve a stable orbit. However it is possible that your professor was speaking of some other effect. I'd ask them about it.
Thank you :)
I'll ask him then.