Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody tell me what are Phosphopepitdes?

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Can anybody tell me what are Phosphopepitdes ??
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2

Gold Member

I've not come across the term before, but peptide denotes amino acids (polypeptides= proteins, peptide bonds join amino acids, etc...) and phospho means with a phosphate group attached (as in phospholipid, phosphorylisation). From this I'd assume an amino acid bonded with a phosphate group.
  4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

mattyaouw's got it right, but to elaborate a little more...specific amino acids namely serine, threonine and thyrosine contain -OH side chains which can be acted on by any number of protein kinases (enzymes) which can then add a phosphate group. Typically this happens in whole proteins as part of the modification of enzyme activity via phosphorylation, in this case it can be called a phosphoprotein. If you were to cut out the section of the protein containing the phosporylated amino acid(s) you would then have a phosphopeptide.
  5. Dec 10, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF DocToxyn!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?