Can anybody tell me what is Causal Solution

• Thread starter walkinginwater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "Causal Solution" in relation to field radiation and wave equations. The term refers to the idea that events cannot happen before their trigger and that disturbances take time to reach a point of interest due to the speed of light. The term can also be found in physics, where it means that the future cannot affect the past and only earlier events can influence an event.
walkinginwater
Can anybody tell me what is " Causal Solution"

hi, everybody:
I am now reading some thing about field radiation. and it claims that the retarded potentials are the Causal solutions to the wave equations? http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch13.pdf"

Can anybody explain what is the Causal solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
your notes seem to have explained it pretty well... what is problem? "causal" means that events do not happen before the "trigger" that initiate the events. THat's why it the time argument, you need to evaluate the quantity at an eariler time.. because speed of light is not infinite, and it takes time for disturbances to reach the point of interest away from the source.

mjsd said:
your notes seem to have explained it pretty well... what is problem? "causal" means that events do not happen before the "trigger" that initiate the events.

I am sorry English is not my native language, but is the "Causal" has such kind meaning? Can you tell me an online English dictionary to check that?

In physics 'causal' can mean just that the future cannot affect the past. In other words an event may only be influenced by earlier events - not later events. Mathematically this give us the light cone causal structure.

Thanks Mentz114, I got the answer I want!

1. What is a causal solution?

A causal solution is a proposed explanation for a particular phenomenon or problem that identifies the underlying cause or causes. It aims to address the root of the issue rather than simply treating the symptoms.

2. How is a causal solution different from a correlation?

A correlation refers to a statistical relationship between two variables, while a causal solution seeks to establish a cause-and-effect relationship between variables. In other words, a causal solution provides an explanation for why a correlation exists.

3. What are some examples of causal solutions?

Examples of causal solutions include identifying the root cause of a disease in order to develop a treatment, identifying the cause of a product defect in order to improve manufacturing processes, or identifying the cause of low employee morale in order to improve workplace culture.

4. What is the process for determining a causal solution?

The process for determining a causal solution typically involves conducting research, analyzing data, and using logic and reasoning to identify potential hypotheses. These hypotheses are then tested through experiments or other methods to determine the most likely cause or causes.

5. Why is it important to find a causal solution?

Finding a causal solution is important because it allows for the effective and efficient resolution of problems. By addressing the root cause, rather than just treating symptoms, a causal solution can lead to long-term solutions and prevent the issue from recurring in the future.