Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anybody tell me what is Causal Solution

1. May 23, 2007 #1
    Can anybody tell me what is " Causal Solution"

hi, everybody:
    I am now reading some thing about field radiation. and it claims that the retarded potentials are the Causal solutions to the wave equations? http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch13.pdf

Can any body explain what is the Causal solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

your notes seem to have explained it pretty well... what is problem? "causal" means that events do not happen before the "trigger" that initiate the events. THat's why it the time argument, you need to evaluate the quantity at an eariler time.. because speed of light is not infinite, and it takes time for disturbances to reach the point of interest away from the source.

4. May 23, 2007 #3
    I am sorry English is not my native language, but is the "Causal" has such kind meaning? Can you tell me an online English dictionary to check that?

5. May 23, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

In physics 'causal' can mean just that the future cannot affect the past. In other words an event may only be influenced by earlier events - not later events. Mathematically this give us the light cone causal structure.

6. May 24, 2007 #5
    Thanks Mentz114, I got the answer I want!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?