How to Prove Product of Divisors Formula and Derive Largest Unattainable Score?

• Thread starter logic2b1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to number theory. The first problem involves proving a formula for the product of all positive divisors of a number, while the second problem involves finding the largest unattainable score in a game with two types of scoring events. Hints and suggestions are given for both problems, including the use of the Euler Phi and Sigma functions. The importance of putting in original effort and following posting guidelines is also emphasized.
logic2b1
1)Prove : the product of all of the positive divisors of n ( including n itself ) is
n^(d(n)/2).

2) Suppose you have a game in which there are two kinds of scoring events. One event gives a score of m points, and the other gives a score of n points. Asusume that m and n are relatively prime, and derive a formula for the largest unattainable score. Prove your answer is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you'll find you get more help if you post what you have tried, so we can see where you are stuck and advise from there. So just a couple of hints for now:

logic2b1 said:
1)Prove : the product of all of the positive divisors of n ( including n itself ) is
n^(d(n)/2).

You might find it easier to break this into two cases, n a perfect square, and n not a perfect square.

logic2b1 said:
2) Suppose you have a game in which there are two kinds of scoring events. One event gives a score of m points, and the other gives a score of n points. Asusume that m and n are relatively prime, and derive a formula for the largest unattainable score. Prove your answer is correct.

I can't think of any good hints that don't give away too much here. Have you tried working out some examples and attempting to guess a formula? The formula will be fairly simple in terms of m and n, so this shouldn't be a hopeless way to start.

I want to try the first one (I'm doing the second one right now)... what is d(n)?

d(n)=the number of divisors of n

Start with the prime factorization of n,

[tex]n=p_{1}^{\alpha_{1}}p_{2}^{\alpha_{2}}\cdots p_{r}^{\alpha_{r}}[/tex]

where the [tex]p_{i}'s[/tex] are primes. Now use numbers of that divide the above to form the product. You can find some info on the function d(n) here.

thks for your help guys!

Sorry, I am on a short vocation and is not so convenience to log into the internet. I will be back home two days later.

If you guys have more idea, please do advise me. Thank you very much for your help.

logic look up two concepts in number theory ...Euler Phi Function and Euler Sigma Function(this latter may just becalled Euler Sigma, or Sigma Function)
It'll tell you how to find the product of all divisors

Balakrishnan, (to address the reason for the deleted post) your participation in these forums is much appreciated. However, the policy here is to absolutely not help with what are homework/coursework problems UNLESS the OP shows at least some sign of having made original effort. And posting complete solutions, as you have, do more to harm than help the OP - at least as far as this site is concerned. This is specified clearly in the Posting Guidelines.

Logic: Please read the posting guidelines, for standard textbook problems. You'll find a link in my signature.

Also, this thread belongs in the Homework Help section, not here. Please make sure you post to the correct location next time.

Last edited:

Related to How to Prove Product of Divisors Formula and Derive Largest Unattainable Score?

1. What type of problems do you need help with?

As a scientist, I may receive questions related to a wide range of scientific fields and topics, including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is important to specify the problem or topic you need help with so that I can provide accurate and relevant assistance.

2. Can you explain the problem in more detail?

In order for me to effectively help with a problem, I need a clear understanding of the specific issue or concept that is causing confusion. Please provide as much detail as possible, including any relevant equations, data, or diagrams.

3. What approaches or methods should I use to solve this problem?

Depending on the problem and the available resources, there may be multiple approaches or methods that can be used to solve it. I will do my best to recommend the most efficient and accurate approach based on the information provided.

4. Are there any helpful resources or references you can suggest?

As a scientist, I have access to a wide range of resources and references that may be useful in solving your problem. This may include textbooks, scientific articles, online databases, or simulation tools. Let me know if you need any specific recommendations.

5. Can you check my solution and provide feedback?

While I am happy to provide guidance and assistance, it is ultimately your responsibility to solve the problem. I can check your solution and provide feedback, but I will not solve the problem for you. It is important for you to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the problem.