1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me with these problems?

1. Jul 17, 2006 #1
    1)Prove : the product of all of the positive divisors of n ( including n itself ) is
    n^(d(n)/2).

2) Suppose you have a game in which there are two kinds of scoring events. One event gives a score of m points, and the other gives a score of n points. Asusume that m and n are relatively prime, and derive a formula for the largest unattainable score. Prove your answer is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, you'll find you get more help if you post what you have tried, so we can see where you are stuck and advise from there. So just a couple of hints for now:

You might find it easier to break this into two cases, n a perfect square, and n not a perfect square.

I can't think of any good hints that don't give away too much here. Have you tried working out some examples and attempting to guess a formula? The formula will be fairly simple in terms of m and n, so this shouldn't be a hopeless way to start.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to try the first one (I'm doing the second one right now)... what is d(n)?

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d(n)=the number of divisors of n

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

Start with the prime factorization of n,

[tex]n=p_{1}^{\alpha_{1}}p_{2}^{\alpha_{2}}\cdots p_{r}^{\alpha_{r}}[/tex]

where the [tex]p_{i}'s[/tex] are primes. Now use numbers of that divide the above to form the product. You can find some info on the function d(n) here.

7. Jul 21, 2006 #6
    thks for your help guys!

Sorry, I am on a short vocation and is not so convenience to log into the internet. I will be back home two days later.

If you guys have more idea, please do advise me. Thank you very much for your help.

8. Jul 21, 2006 #7
    logic look up two concepts in number theory ...Euler Phi Function and Euler Sigma Function(this latter may just becalled Euler Sigma, or Sigma Function)
    It'll tell you how to find the product of all divisors

9. Jul 23, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Balakrishnan, (to address the reason for the deleted post) your participation in these forums is much appreciated. However, the policy here is to absolutely not help with what are homework/coursework problems UNLESS the OP shows at least some sign of having made original effort. And posting complete solutions, as you have, do more to harm than help the OP - at least as far as this site is concerned. This is specified clearly in the Posting Guidelines.

Logic: Please read the posting guidelines, for standard textbook problems. You'll find a link in my signature.

Also, this thread belongs in the Homework Help section, not here. Please make sure you post to the correct location next time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?