1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me with thisBernoulli qn?

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    A water tank springs a leak at a certain position called position 2. The pressure at position 2 is equal to the atmospheric pressure(100KPa) and at another position called position 1 the pressure is 500KPa in excess of atmospheric pressure. What is the velocity of escape of the water at the leak? It may be assumed that the velocity of the water at the leak is much greater than the velocity at position 1. (density of water=1000Kgm-3)

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the pressure at position 2 is the same as the atmospheric pressure, an opening at position 2 will not produce a leak. The velocity of the water at the leak is 0. Better check the question again.

AM

4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    no.. the total pressure at position 2 is 200KPa. The pressure at position 2, neglecting air pressure, is 100KPa. note: the total pressure at postion 1 is 500KPa.

5. Jun 17, 2005 #4
    what i want to know is that by having 2 unknown velocity, v at position 1 and v at position 2, how can i find the velocity at position 2?

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the tank is large, the velocity at position 2 is independent of the pressure at position 1. The speed of the water at position 2 is determined by Bernouilli's equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho v_0^2 + P_0 = \frac{1}{2}\rho v'^2 + P'[/tex]

Where P_0 = 200 KPa, v_0 = 0; P' = 100 KPa

Just solve for v'.

AM

[note: I changed the 1 and 2 subscripts to avoid confusion with the positions]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    erm.. May i know why?

thx!

8. Jun 18, 2005 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the velocity at position 2 is determined by the pressure at position 2. Pressure is energy per unit volume. The increase in kinetic energy of water comes from the potential energy stored as water pressure. Why would its energy be determined by the pressure anywhere else?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?