Can anyone solve integral with variable limits

In summary: Yes,integrating it should be doable.In summary, Daniel is trying to solve an equation involving a charged particle in a charged hollow cuboid. The equation is difficult to solve, but he was able to integrate it at site integrals.
sid_galt
Can anyone solve this?

[tex]
\int_{-L{\substack{2}}}^{L{\substack{1}}-L{\substack{2}}} \left[ \int_{-L{\substack{2}}+R{\substack{x}}}^{L{\substack{4}}+R{\substack{x}}} \frac{{\sigma}xz}{4\pi\varepsilon{\substack{0}}(x^2+y^2+z^2){\sqrt{(x^2+z^2)(y^2+z^2)}}} dx \right] dz
[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] are constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that integral with variable limits ??If it weren't,you'd be able to integrate wrt "x" quite easily.Though the integral wrt "z" is quite difficult.

Daniel.

The limits with z are variable.
Actually I was trying to analyze the motion of a charged particle in a charged hollow cuboid with charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] and dimensions [tex]L_{\substack{1}}[/tex] (z-axis) and [tex]2 \times L_{\substack{4}}[/tex] (x and y axis) with the particle moving along the z axis and its position along z axis at any time given by [tex]L_{\substack{2}}[/tex].

This equation I made up for the electric field the charged particle would experience along the x-axis at any point in the hollow cuboid.

Is there any way to solve the integral?

Shouldn't the integral be a constant...?I mean,should it depend on "x"...?

Make the subsitution

[tex] x=z\sinh u [/tex]

and solve the integral wrt "x" and then write the one wrt "z" (here),so we can see whether it's doable or not.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Shouldn't the integral be a constant...?I mean,should it depend on "x"...?
Sorry, my bad. It should be constant.

I tried doing the integration (performed part of integration at site integrals.wolfram.com as it had got very tough). Here's what I got

[tex]
\int_{-L_2}^{L_1-L_2} \displaystyle\frac{\sigma}{4\pi\varepsilon_0} \times \displaystyle\frac{z}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}} \times \left[\displaystyle\frac{\ln(x^2+z^2)}{2y^2}-\displaystyle\frac{\ln(x^2+y^2+z^2)}{2y^2}\right]dz
[/tex]

Is this correct?
Is there any way to integrate it further?

I don't know whether it is correct or not,i didn't do the calculations...I think your integral can be done.

Use this

[tex]\int \frac{x\ln \left( 1+x^2\right) }{\sqrt{1+x^2}}dx=\allowbreak \sqrt{\left( 1+x^2\right) }\ln \left( 1+x^2\right) -2\sqrt{\left( 1+x^2\right) } +C[/tex]

Daniel.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Could you help me in this one?

[tex]
\int \sinh u \arctan \left (\sqrt{\displaystyle\frac{a}{b} + \sinh^2 u}\right) du
[/tex]
[tex]
\Rightarrow \int \sinh u \arctan \left (\sqrt{\displaystyle\frac{a}{b} - 1 + \cosh^2 u}\right) du
[/tex]

I tried the substitution [tex] x = \cosh u [/tex] which got me

[tex] \displaystyle\frac{dx}{du} = \sinh u[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow du = \displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sinh u}
[/tex]

Substituting

[tex]
\int \arctan (\sqrt{c + x^2}) dx \quad where \quad c = \displaystyle\frac {a}{b} - 1
[/tex]

Can this one be done?

I don't think it's expressible as a combo of familiar special functions,else wolfram's site would have done it...

Daniel.

1. Can anyone solve an integral with variable limits?

Yes, anyone with knowledge and understanding of integrals can solve an integral with variable limits. It requires a basic understanding of derivatives and integrals, as well as knowledge of the specific rules and properties of integrals with variable limits.

2. What are the steps to solve an integral with variable limits?

The steps to solve an integral with variable limits include:

• 1. Finding the indefinite integral of the function
  • 2. Plugging in the upper and lower limits into the indefinite integral
  • 3. Evaluating the integral at the upper limit and subtracting the result from the evaluation at the lower limit

3. Can integrals with variable limits be solved using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Yes, integrals with variable limits can be solved using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the indefinite integral and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits.

4. Are there any special cases when solving integrals with variable limits?

Yes, there are special cases when solving integrals with variable limits. One example is when the upper limit is a constant and the lower limit is a variable, in which case the integral can be solved using the Chain Rule.

5. Is it possible to have variable limits for both the upper and lower limits?

Yes, it is possible to have variable limits for both the upper and lower limits in an integral. In this case, the integral can be solved by treating each limit as a function and evaluating the integral at the upper and lower limit functions.