Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone solve integral with variable limits

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    Can anyone solve this?

[tex]
    \int_{-L{\substack{2}}}^{L{\substack{1}}-L{\substack{2}}} \left[ \int_{-L{\substack{2}}+R{\substack{x}}}^{L{\substack{4}}+R{\substack{x}}} \frac{{\sigma}xz}{4\pi\varepsilon{\substack{0}}(x^2+y^2+z^2){\sqrt{(x^2+z^2)(y^2+z^2)}}} dx \right] dz
    [/tex]

where [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] are constants.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that integral with variable limits ??If it weren't,you'd be able to integrate wrt "x" quite easily.Though the integral wrt "z" is quite difficult.

Daniel.

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    The limits with z are variable.
    Actually I was trying to analyze the motion of a charged particle in a charged hollow cuboid with charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] and dimensions [tex]L_{\substack{1}}[/tex] (z-axis) and [tex]2 \times L_{\substack{4}}[/tex] (x and y axis) with the particle moving along the z axis and its position along z axis at any time given by [tex]L_{\substack{2}}[/tex].

This equation I made up for the electric field the charged particle would experience along the x-axis at any point in the hollow cuboid.

Is there any way to solve the integral?

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shouldn't the integral be a constant...?I mean,should it depend on "x"...?

Make the subsitution

[tex] x=z\sinh u [/tex]

and solve the integral wrt "x" and then write the one wrt "z" (here),so we can see whether it's doable or not.

Daniel.

6. Apr 1, 2005 #5
    Sorry, my bad. It should be constant.

I tried doing the integration (performed part of integration at site integrals.wolfram.com as it had got very tough). Here's what I got

[tex]
    \int_{-L_2}^{L_1-L_2} \displaystyle\frac{\sigma}{4\pi\varepsilon_0} \times \displaystyle\frac{z}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}} \times \left[\displaystyle\frac{\ln(x^2+z^2)}{2y^2}-\displaystyle\frac{\ln(x^2+y^2+z^2)}{2y^2}\right]dz
    [/tex]

Is this correct?
    Is there any way to integrate it further?

7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know whether it is correct or not,i didn't do the calculations...I think your integral can be done.

Use this

[tex]\int \frac{x\ln \left( 1+x^2\right) }{\sqrt{1+x^2}}dx=\allowbreak \sqrt{\left( 1+x^2\right) }\ln \left( 1+x^2\right) -2\sqrt{\left( 1+x^2\right) } +C[/tex]

Daniel.

8. Apr 3, 2005 #7
    Thanks a lot for the help.

Could you help me in this one?

[tex]
    \int \sinh u \arctan \left (\sqrt{\displaystyle\frac{a}{b} + \sinh^2 u}\right) du
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \Rightarrow \int \sinh u \arctan \left (\sqrt{\displaystyle\frac{a}{b} - 1 + \cosh^2 u}\right) du
    [/tex]

I tried the substitution [tex] x = \cosh u [/tex] which got me

[tex] \displaystyle\frac{dx}{du} = \sinh u[/tex]
    [tex] \Rightarrow du = \displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sinh u}
    [/tex]

Substituting

[tex]
    \int \arctan (\sqrt{c + x^2}) dx \quad where \quad c = \displaystyle\frac {a}{b} - 1
    [/tex]

Can this one be done?

9. Apr 4, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it's expressible as a combo of familiar special functions,else wolfram's site would have done it...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?