Can anyone tell me how the hole will move after this?

• Thread starter anhnha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole
In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of electrons and holes under an electric field and how they are created through thermal excitation or external sources such as a battery. The conductivity of pure semiconductors is limited due to the constant creation of electron-hole pairs and recombination. Doping can improve conductivity by continuously creating holes on the positive side. It is clarified that there is always recombination occurring in semiconductors, leading to a small number of electrons and holes in equilibrium.
anhnha
Here is a set of pictures showing the ways electrons and hole move under electric field.
Can anyone tell me how the hole will move after this? I mean that where the hole will move after the final image.
attachment.php?attachmentid=59552&stc=1&d=1371273349.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=59553&stc=1&d=1371273349.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=59554&stc=1&d=1371273349.jpg

Attachments

• Hole11.jpg
    Hole11.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 472
  • Hole22.jpg
    Hole22.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Hole5.JPG
    Hole5.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
It will get filled with an electron from the wire.
The wire is probably not a semiconductor, it does not have a gap between valence and conductance band and you have a lot of electrons (filled energy states) and a lot of empty energy states to conduct current.

Thanks mfb,
But then the hole will disappear and valence band doesn't have any hole left?
It can't conduct in valence anymore?

But then the hole will disappear and valence band doesn't have any hole left?
It can't conduct in valence anymore?
Unless you get new excitations: right.
Well, usually you have many electron/hole pairs in the material at the same time, and some new pairs are created all the time. This leads to the (bad) conductivity of pure semiconductors.

Well, usually you have many electron/hole pairs in the material at the same time, and some new pairs are created all the time. This leads to the (bad) conductivity of pure semiconductors.
Hi, I don't understand that. Can you tell me what do you mean "excitation". Can I consider battery as an excitation? And how pairs of electron and hole are create?

Excitation is the process that lead to picture 1: thermal energy, light or whatever kicked an electron out of the valence band into the conduction band.

Hi,
For example, I have a P material and I apply it with a battery like the figure above.
Assume that there is no thermal energy, light or whatever kicked an electron out of the valence band into the conduction band. Then the current only flow in the circuit for a short time. Then it ceases.
Is this right?
I always think that when negative pole of battery put an electron into the hole ( in the final image above) then at the same time positive pole has to pull an valence electron into wire to positive pole and a new hole is created on the left.
Is this wrong?

With doping, the material will continue to conduct - at the positive side, holes are created all the time, they flow to the negative side and get filled.

mfb said:
With doping, the material will continue to conduct - at the positive side, holes are created all the time, they flow to the negative side and get filled.

Do you mean that holes are created at the positive side by electric field from the battery pulling valence electrons and leaving holes?

mfb said:

I would like to ask some more questions.
In pure semiconductor, thermal energy will create electron-hole pairs all the time. If there is not recombination ( I mean electrons go from conduction band to valance band) then the current will continue forever and the pure semiconductor will become a good conductor.

For example, at t=t0, thermal energy creates 1000 electron-hole pairs. From that time there is no recombination at all. This means that the pure semiconductor will always have 1000 holes or more.
Therefore, the semiconductor will act as a p type? Is that right?

Of course there is recombination. The small number of electrons and holes is "always"* in an equilibrium between recombination and thermal excitation.

*in all relevant cases

1. What is the cause of the hole's movement?

The movement of the hole is caused by a combination of factors, such as changes in air pressure, wind direction, and temperature differences. These factors create an imbalance in the air flow, which causes the hole to move.

2. How fast can the hole move?

The speed at which the hole moves can vary depending on the strength of the aforementioned factors. In general, the hole can move at a rate of a few miles per hour, but it can also move more rapidly in certain conditions.

3. Can the hole change direction?

Yes, the hole can change direction as it is influenced by the changing air flow. It may initially move in one direction, but as the air flow shifts, the hole will follow suit and change its direction accordingly.

4. Is there any way to predict the movement of the hole?

While it is difficult to accurately predict the exact movement of the hole, meteorologists use weather patterns and data to make educated guesses about where the hole may move next. However, the movement of the hole can be quite unpredictable, so it is best to monitor it in real-time.

5. Can the hole eventually disappear?

Yes, the hole is not a permanent or fixed feature. Its movement can cause it to dissipate over time, especially if the conditions that created it in the first place subside. However, it is also possible for the hole to grow and change shape, depending on the surrounding weather patterns.