Can Beauty be described in terms of mathematics?

In summary, Dr. Stephen Marquadt is a plastic surgeon who believes that all beautiful faces have something in common, following a certain geometrical template. He constructed the Golden Ratio Mask based on this idea. Some people find the mask to be best suited for Caucasians, but it still works out quite well. Lastly, Marquadt has done reconstructive Photoshop surgery on some girl's photo and it looks quite good.
leroyjenkens said:
My girlfriend can be described mathematically; [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]

Haha, I know that feel bro. My girlfriend is [tex]\pi[/tex] she's round. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan_m_b said:
You display a large privilege here, you're coming across as this not being an issue for you so therefore it isn't an issue or the issue lies with those who do find fault with it.
But, isn't this the case for any issue?

On the issue of beauty, I accepted it as part of the human condition. Something that will always be a part of society.

That said, I'll try to address your concerns.

Ryan_m_b said:
Beauty is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon, there is no evidence to suggest it is an objective spectrum which proposals like this thread would imply.
I tried the "tests" on myself and on some of my friends. Among us, beauty does seem like an objective spectrum.

Of course, we're only a small sample.

Ryan_m_b said:
There are negative consequences for individuals and society at large if we start adopting "you're either look like this and are beautiful or you're not" standards.
The consequences are already here. Just look at the huge fashion and beauty industry.

Ryan_m_b said:
Rather than often said perhaps it would be best to look into these things to see if they even make sense. I.e. is the difference between men and women so discrete or is this another example of cultural bias?
I don't know, I've never spoken to my friends about this.

Ryan_m_b said:
If only this topic was as whimsical as to leave each to their own we wouldn't have a host of problems because of it's poor exploration.
Yes, the effects of this topic are wide reaching.

However it it very difficult to shake people from their established beliefs.

Ryan_m_b said:
Da Vinci is hardly a contemporary authority on this topic.
I thought da Vinci had "timeless" authority. :smile:

Ryan_m_b said:
As babies have poor vision I'm again dubious. Rather than relying on TV documentaries by celebrities it would be best to refer to actual studies. But just to give you an idea of possible shoddy methodology: how is beauty being defined in this sense when one says "babies are attracted to beautiful faces?"
I guess the more a baby is attracted to it, the more beautiful it is.
I agree, this area is hardly well researched.

Here's an article on baby vision:
http://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/infants.htm

Supposedly infants also form a strong bond with one parent.

Ryan_m_b said:
Quite. For a negative follow on to this look at the problems of air brushing and body image.
I don't consider those super skinny models beautiful though.

So, we know that this topic is not well researched and may be subjective.

The most concrete, solid evidence are the informal "tests" we can conduct.
(Not very concrete, but already the most concrete)

Would you like to try them out?

tade said:
So, we know that this topic is not well researched and may be subjective.

The most concrete, solid evidence are the informal "tests" we can conduct.
(Not very concrete, but already the most concrete)

Would you like to try them out?
The topic is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

dlgoff posted this on a different topic: "Questions that cannot be answered through scientific investigation are those that relate to personal preference, . . . ." Ref: http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih6/inquiry/guide/lesson2.htm

It seems relevant here.

I think a smile (rather than a scowl) goes along way to make a face more attractive, and babies, once their eyes can focus, and people in general, seem respond positively to smiles from what I have observed.

There's daggers in men's smiles. :smile:

Well, the only way to find out is to test it.

Isn't the occurrence of the golden ratio to 'beautiful' things subject to confirmation bias? We might have an 'ugly' thing that still has golden ratio in it, but we might not be counting these instances.

mathsciguy said:
Isn't the occurrence of the golden ratio to 'beautiful' things subject to confirmation bias? We might have an 'ugly' thing that still has golden ratio in it, but we might not be counting these instances.

Probably so.

Find me a pic of an ugly object and I'll try to see how many golden ratios I can find. :tongue2:

@leroyjenkens

the good thing is, an imaginary girlfriend can't cheat on you.

tade said:
@leroyjenkens

the good thing is, an imaginary girlfriend can't cheat on you.

Depends on your imagination...

micromass said:
Depends on your imagination...

I suppose some people do that, to prepare themselves in case of cheating, for real.

I believe Marquadt's mask is very good. :smile:However, there's an interesting problem.
The eyebrows in the mask are a bit too low. They are slightly lower than the eyebrows present on most people.

Sorry tade, this is going nowhere, time to put it down.