Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can boiling water inside steel cube make it explode?

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    Hello

Lets say we have a steel cube, then fill it with water and close all the gaps very strong with welding. If we leave the cube on a stove for a lot of time, is the produced steam of the boiling water, enough to destroy and smash the steel cube?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

What do you think and why?
    Does the thickness of the walls of the cube matter?

Google for "boiler explosion".

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Sure, if the sides of the cube are thin enough it won't be able to withstand the increase in pressure. Steam boilers used in old ships and locomotives could violently explode.

As an example:

2.jpg

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4
    Ok thanks, i have got my answer. So it is possible. I was just wondering, because the most common thing to hear is that the steam can kick out the lid of the boiler. I would not except, it would be able to destroy even the steel surfaces. I would like to try it one day, it will look very cool.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5

Drakkith

There are plenty of videos online if you want to see a steam explosion. Don't risk yourself or others doing something that you're not experienced with. Seriously, don't freaking do it. Even the explosions of a very small boiler can send shrapnel out that can injure eyes and cut arteries.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6
    Ok thanks for the warning, but i want to try it. I will leave it boiling in a closed room and when i hear the BOOM i will go and check it out.

8. Jan 20, 2016 #7
    Bad idea. Please don't do it.

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do not do this. Deliberately creating an out of control explosion is dangerous and phenomenally stupid.

10. Jan 20, 2016 #9
    Come on, what can go wrong? The steel cube will be small and i will be out of the room. I am not an expert but i dont think that it is so bad. Can the exploded steel cause serious damage even on the wall?

11. Jan 20, 2016 #10

russ_watters

Asked and answered. Don't be stupid.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook