Exploring the Possibility of Causal Loops and Time Travel: Can They Coexist?

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loops
In summary, the conversation discusses causal loops and the possibility of time travel using wormholes. It is explained that in order for objects to hit themselves in a causal loop, closed timelike curves would need to exist. However, building a time machine using wormholes is currently unlikely due to the need for exotic matter. The existence of causality is also debated, with one interpretation stating that it depends on the geometry of spacetime and can be tested by looking for closed timelike curves. However, it is currently unknown if it is impossible for a region of spacetime without CTCs to eventually contain them.
TheQuestionGuy14
A causal loop is when an object has no definite starting point, eg: if you threw a ball into a wormhole, and when it comes out it hits itself, making itself go into the wormhole. This sequence keeps going. Is this kind of stuff possible if we ever have a time machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which wormhole was that? Which time machine?
These are things of Science Fiction.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
This sequence keeps going.

No, it doesn't. There is only one event of "ball coming out of the wormhole and hitting itself, making itself go into the wormhole". The "earlier" ball leaves this event and goes into the wormhole; the "later" ball leaves this event and goes off somewhere else.

In short, the ball has only one worldline in spacetime: it just happens to have a (single) "loop" in it.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Is this kind of stuff possible if we ever have a time machine?

In principle, yes, if closed timelike curves can exist, then there are self-consistent solutions in which objects can hit themselves. The Novikov Self-Consistency Principle is worth looking at in this connection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

Likes Sorcerer
PeterDonis said:
No, it doesn't. There is only one event of "ball coming out of the wormhole and hitting itself, making itself go into the wormhole". The "earlier" ball leaves this event and goes into the wormhole; the "later" ball leaves this event and goes off somewhere else.

In short, the ball has only one worldline in spacetime: it just happens to have a (single) "loop" in it.
In principle, yes, if closed timelike curves can exist, then there are self-consistent solutions in which objects can hit themselves. The Novikov Self-Consistency Principle is worth looking at in this connection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

The wiki shows the billiard ball has a causal loop, why is this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
The wiki shows the billiard ball has a causal loop, why is this?

Because it went through a wormhole that functions as a time machine.

PeterDonis said:
Because it went through a wormhole that functions as a time machine.
So its just one loop, then?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:

Yes. Go back and read my post #3.

PeterDonis said:
Yes. Go back and read my post #3.
Just curious, do you think time machines like wormholes could ever be actually built or used?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
do you think time machines like wormholes could ever be actually built or used?

Since they would require exotic matter, and since there is no known or foreseen way to be able to make exotic matter, I think it's very unlikely.

PeterDonis said:
Since they would require exotic matter, and since there is no known or foreseen way to be able to make exotic matter, I think it's very unlikely.
Thanks, just one last question, if causality isn't a fundamental law of physics, then how to we know for sure whether or not the universe is causal? Many say if a time machine could be built, causality is out the window, but how do we know for sure causality is true or not, right now?

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
how do we know for sure causality is true or not

The term "causality" is vague. In order to answer your question, it would need to be made precise: how would we test to see whether "causality" is true?

On at least one interpretation of "causality", the one used to classify spacetimes in General Relativity, it depends on the spacetime geometry; basically, "causality" holds in a particular geometry if that geometry has no closed timelike curves. On this interpretation, we test whether causality holds by testing whether there are closed timelike curves or not. All of our data so far shows no evidence of CTCs, so as far as we can tell, there are no CTCs in the portion of spacetime that we can see. But nobody has been able to prove that, starting with a spacetime region containing no CTCs, it is impossible for the geometry to the future of that region to contain CTCs (such a proof would mean that, for example, it is impossible to build a time machine in a universe that does not already contain one).

Likes Sorcerer
PeterDonis said:
The term "causality" is vague. In order to answer your question, it would need to be made precise: how would we test to see whether "causality" is true?

On at least one interpretation of "causality", the one used to classify spacetimes in General Relativity, it depends on the spacetime geometry; basically, "causality" holds in a particular geometry if that geometry has no closed timelike curves. On this interpretation, we test whether causality holds by testing whether there are closed timelike curves or not. All of our data so far shows no evidence of CTCs, so as far as we can tell, there are no CTCs in the portion of spacetime that we can see. But nobody has been able to prove that, starting with a spacetime region containing no CTCs, it is impossible for the geometry to the future of that region to contain CTCs (such a proof would mean that, for example, it is impossible to build a time machine in a universe that does not already contain one).
Would the second law of thermodynamics work if time machines were found to exist (eg. CTCs) in our universe?

Isn't it true that the other 3 forces, strong, weak and electromagnetic would all have to have time periodic boundary conditions for a causal loop to exist?

PeterDonis said:

Actually, I think it is known that a spacetime can evolve from no CTC to having them, in an idealized classical sense. Consider an idealized collapse to a Kerr BH. Not known, so far as I know, is whether the instability of Kerr interior to tiny deviations from perfect axial symmetry eliminates CTCs.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Would the second law of thermodynamics work if time machines were found to exist (eg. CTCs) in our universe?

The second law does not exclude the possibility of perfectly reversible processes; it just says they're very unlikely. Any process that occurred along a CTC would have to be perfectly reversible (since the process would have to return to the same state), so in a universe where CTCs were common, I think the second law would at least have to be looked at very differently.

PAllen said:
Consider an idealized collapse to a Kerr BH.

Is there a known solution for this case? The only known exact collapse solution I'm aware of is the Oppenheimer-Snyder collapse, which is spherically symmetric and non-rotating, so the endpoint is a Schwarzschild BH, not a Kerr BH.

PAllen said:
Actually, I think it is known that a spacetime can evolve from no CTC to having them, in an idealized classical sense. Consider an idealized collapse to a Kerr BH. Not known, so far as I know, is whether the instability of Kerr interior to tiny deviations from perfect axial symmetry eliminates CTCs.
Wouldn't that go against the strong cosmic censorship? The CTC are in the maximal analytic extension beyond the Cauchy horizon. But the horizon should be unstable. A small perturbation should lead to a curvature singularity.

I have a question about closed time-like curves.

First, an analogy: If you have a spacetime obeying Einstein's field equations with periodic boundary conditions in some direction (that is, you have a coordinate system ##x, y, z, t##, and absolutely everything--scalar, vector and tensor fields--are unchanged by the translation ##x \rightarrow x + L##), then you can get another solution to the field equations by "gluing" each point ##(x,y,z,t)## to the corresponding point ##(x+L, y, z, t)##. That's a way to get a universe that is not simply connected.

I assume that the same is true of closed timelike curves. If there is a solution to the field equations that happens to be periodic in time---in some coordinate system, everything has the same value at ##(x,y,z,t)## and ##(x,y,z,t+T)##---then you can glue those points together to get a universe with closed timelike curves. Is that right? So it's trivial to come up with an example: Empty Minkowsky space.

But the examples in Wikipedia include something more complicated---Misner space, which instead of identifying points at different times and the same spatial coordinates, it identifies events that are related by a specific boost:

##(x,y,z,t) \rightarrow (\gamma (x - v t), y, z, \gamma(t - \frac{vx}{c^2}))##

where ##v## is chosen so that ##\frac{v}{c} = tanh(\pi)##.

I don't understand the significance of that particularly boost, or why boosts are important at all for an example of a CTC.

Likes Paul Colby
martinbn said:
Wouldn't that go against the strong cosmic censorship? The CTC are in the maximal analytic extension beyond the Cauchy horizon. But the horizon should be unstable. A small perturbation should lead to a curvature singularity.
No, because I didn't say anything about whether the CTC is behind a horizon or not. As to the instability, I mentioned it in my post.

PeterDonis said:
Is there a known solution for this case? The only known exact collapse solution I'm aware of is the Oppenheimer-Snyder collapse, which is spherically symmetric and non-rotating, so the endpoint is a Schwarzschild BH, not a Kerr BH.
I don't think there is any known exact solution, only numerical solutions, some of which, with just the right initial conditions, suggest naked singularities and CTCs. This was why Hawking conceded the original cosmic censorship hypothesis and restated it in terms of a set of initial conditions of greater than zero measure in the parameter space leading to violations. The reformulated conjecture is open.

PAllen said:
No, because I didn't say anything about whether the CTC is behind a horizon or not. As to the instability, I mentioned it in my post.
I meant that there are no CTC before the Cauchy horizon. A perturbation should lead to a solution with a spcelike singularity instead of the Cauchy horizon so there will be no CTC .

martinbn said:
I meant that there are no CTC before the Cauchy horizon. A perturbation should lead to a solution with a spcelike singularity instead of the Cauchy horizon so there will be no CTC .
I don't see a disagreement, except I am mentioning the idealized case of no perturbation, so there would be CTC inside the Cauchy horizon.

Oh, I misread your post.

stevendaryl said:
If there is a solution to the field equations that happens to be periodic in time---in some coordinate system, everything has the same value at (x,y,z,t)(x,y,z,t)(x,y,z,t) and (x,y,z,t+T)(x,y,z,t+T)(x,y,z,t+T)---then you can glue those points together to get a universe with closed timelike curves. Is that right? So it's trivial to come up with an example: Empty Minkowsky space.

You can construct spacetimes with CTCs this way; but this is not the only way to construct spacetimes with CTCs. In fact it's not even the case that a spacetime with CTCs cannot be simply connected; Godel spacetime has a CTC through every event and is simply connected.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
The loop is a problem because it violates causality, not because it goes on forever. It may seem perpetual, but really it's just non-linear. Unless you're the eight ball.

1. Can causal loops and time travel coexist in the same universe?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists and there is currently no definitive answer. Some theories, such as the Novikov self-consistency principle, suggest that causal loops are possible and do not create any paradoxes. However, other theories, such as the grandfather paradox, argue that time travel would create logical contradictions and therefore cannot coexist with causal loops. Ultimately, the answer may depend on the specific laws of physics that govern time and causality in our universe.

2. How would time travel affect causality?

If time travel were possible, it would have a major impact on causality. For example, if someone were to travel back in time and change a crucial event, it could create a paradox where the cause and effect are reversed or do not align. However, theories such as the Novikov self-consistency principle propose that time travelers would be unable to change events that would ultimately create a paradox, maintaining the consistency of causality.

3. Are there any real-world examples of causal loops?

While there is no concrete evidence of causal loops, there are some potential examples that have been proposed. One famous example is the grandfather paradox, where a person travels back in time and prevents their own birth. This creates a paradox because if the person was never born, they couldn't have traveled back in time to prevent their birth in the first place. Another example is the bootstrap paradox, where an object or information is created from itself, with no clear origin.

4. What are the implications of causal loops and time travel for the concept of free will?

If causal loops and time travel were possible, it would raise questions about the existence of free will. If events are predetermined and can be influenced by time travelers, it could be argued that individuals do not have true free will and their actions are predetermined. However, others may argue that even if time travel were possible, it would simply be a part of the predetermined events and not necessarily eliminate the concept of free will.

5. How close are we to achieving time travel and observing causal loops?

At this point, time travel and causal loops are purely theoretical concepts and there is no scientific evidence to suggest they are possible. While some scientists continue to explore the possibility through theories and experiments, it is not currently within our technological capabilities. Additionally, even if time travel were possible, it is uncertain if we would ever be able to observe causal loops as they may exist in a different realm or dimension beyond our current understanding of time and space.