Can Centralizing AC to DC Conversion Reduce Data Center Cooling Costs?

• Thread starter sunbeam999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Power
In summary: You need very precise equipment and someone with the right skills to do it safely.A central unit that converts AC to DC would be more efficient, but it would also require more equipment. The heat generated would be outside of the area being cooled, so fans would need to be used to disperse it. A DC bus would need to be created to connect all the devices in the racks, and each device would need to be supplied with a specific voltage.
sunbeam999
This is a general question.

Occasionally you see published articles about the high costs of energy by data centers. Of course this includes the actual use of electricity by the computers and other equipment, but it also includes the costs of cooling all this equipment.

Most computers and other electrical equipment have a device to change AC to the DC the device actually uses. This process generates a good bit of heat, separate from the heat the device generates when it actually operates. My understanding is that this heat generation is much larger than what is actually used.

So my question is this:

Why not have a central unit that changes AC to DC outside of the area that is to be kept cool?

The heat generated is outside of the area, and presumably could be dealt with by fans.

Then have a DC bus that transfers power to the units in their racks.

Perhaps each device requires some slightly different voltage, I would think not but perhaps I am wrong. I would guess someone could manufacture a device that would plug into the machine and condition the voltage as it transfers power to the device.

I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical one. Is there anything wrong with my reasoning? Something I do not know? I wouldn't think it to be a problem to supply DC with the short runs in a data center. Perhaps I misunderstand the requirements of the devices used?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Converting AC to DC in a switch mode power supply is pretty efficent, especially in racks that have a couple of large PSUs per rack to run all the system.
Shipping enough 5/12V around a data centre to run all the servers is going to need some serious wiring, if each PC needs 20Amps at 5V and you have a 1000 servers.
It's common in telecoms to use 48V dc supplies and a lot of telecoms kit is built to take 48V. PCs aren't built for this and so you would need expensive custom 48V-> +-5/12V DC PSUs fitted to each machine.

Another problem with DC, especially at those sort of currents is turning it off and disconnecting anyone who touches one of the bus bars.

I can definitely understand the concern about the high costs of energy by data centers. The use of electricity for both powering and cooling equipment is a major expense for these facilities. Your suggestion of having a central unit that changes AC to DC outside of the cooled area is an interesting idea. It could potentially reduce the amount of heat generated within the data center and therefore decrease the need for cooling.

However, there are a few factors to consider before implementing such a system. First, as you mentioned, different devices may require different voltages and it would be important to ensure that the central unit is able to provide the correct voltage for each device. This could potentially complicate the setup and increase the cost of the system.

Additionally, there may be safety concerns with having a central unit that is not easily accessible in case of an emergency or maintenance needs. It would also require a significant overhaul of the current infrastructure in data centers, which could be a costly and time-consuming process.

Furthermore, it is worth considering the efficiency of converting AC to DC. While using DC power may reduce the heat generated within the data center, the conversion process itself also generates heat and may not necessarily result in a significant overall energy savings.

In conclusion, while your idea of using a central unit to convert AC to DC outside of the cooled area may have potential benefits, there are also practical and technical considerations that need to be taken into account before implementing such a system. More research and analysis would be needed to determine the feasibility and potential impact of this approach.

Related to Can Centralizing AC to DC Conversion Reduce Data Center Cooling Costs?

1. How much power do data centers use?

Data centers use a significant amount of power, with estimates ranging from 1.1% to 1.5% of global electricity consumption. This is expected to continue to increase as more data is generated and stored.

2. What are the main sources of energy for data centers?

The main sources of energy for data centers are electricity from the grid, on-site renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines, and backup diesel generators. Some data centers also use energy storage systems to help manage their power usage.

3. How do data centers reduce their power consumption?

Data centers use a variety of strategies to reduce their power consumption, such as using more energy-efficient servers and IT equipment, implementing virtualization and consolidation techniques, and optimizing cooling and airflow systems. They may also use renewable energy sources and energy-efficient building designs.

4. What is the environmental impact of data center power use?

Data center power use has a significant environmental impact, as it contributes to carbon emissions and climate change. However, many data centers are implementing green initiatives to reduce their carbon footprint, such as using renewable energy sources and implementing energy-efficient technologies.

5. How can I make my data center more energy-efficient?

There are several steps you can take to make your data center more energy-efficient, such as regularly monitoring and optimizing your power usage, using energy-efficient equipment, implementing virtualization and consolidation techniques, and utilizing renewable energy sources. It is also important to regularly assess and update your data center's energy efficiency measures to ensure they are effective.