Can Cheese Evaporate? Temperature and Chemical Compounds Explained

• Thread starter Zamot40
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether cheese can evaporate and at what temperature. It is noted that cheese is made up of milk fats, proteins, and water and can eventually dry out and become hard. However, heating it too much can cause the proteins to denature. The conversation also mentions that gases are produced during the fermentation process and that different cheeses have different levels of evaporation. The possibility of cheese decomposing into carbon dioxide and water is also brought up, but it is noted that the mineral components of cheese are more difficult to vaporize. Finally, there is a question about the speed of sublimation in the freezer.
Zamot40
As the title says: Can cheese evaporate and in case which temperature?

Today I was eating a toast and this came to mind.

Looking at the internet in general didn't give a clear answer, but most people said it couldn't
First I guess all the water in the cheese will evaporate, and then act as wood and ignite at some temperature.

Also I was wondering what chemical compounds cheese exists off? and is there some of it which will turn into a gas?
I suppose of course it depends on which cheese it is, but let us go with cheese that is normally in a toast.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheese consists of milk fats and proteins, plus the byproducts of the cheese-processing bacteria. Plus water.

If you just take a piece of cheese and set it out in the dry air it will eventually dry to form a hard cheese - like Parmesan - presuming that it doesn't get moldy.

So yes, the water can evaporate. It takes longer the cooler it is, and it goes faster when it is hotter. If you heat the cheese too much the proteins will denature and you will have a mess. Your mother/wife will make you scrape out the mess, or buy a her a new pan.

Gases are produced in many types of cheese during the fermentation/formation process.
The Jarlsberg cheese, for example, has large interior cavities, the remnant of gas bubbles made during the production.

Everything evaporates a little bit. But some things evaporate so slowly that the answer is no.
Cheese can decompose into mostly carbon dioxide and water. I guess this will happen more quickly than the cheese evaporating.

It is all matter of how hot it can get.

Water, fat, sugars, proteins - these are relatively easy to get rid of. Bunsen burner is all you need.

Then you are left with the mineral part - like calcium, sodium, magnesium salts. These are much more difficult to vaporise. According to wikipedia calcium oxide boils at 2850°C. Around 3000°C there would be nothing left.

However, it can happen that during roasting organic part you will be left with some elemental carbon. In that case you need over 3600°C to sublimate it.

If you can smell it, then some component must be evaporating.

All I know if I leave some cheese on the counter for a while and then come back, it has disappeared. It must have evaporated. I mean, it's not like anyone would have eaten it.

Likes phinds
Borek said:
It is all matter of how hot it can get.

hot?

Argh...

I did this experiment this summer, and my cheese turned green, in the fridge.

My question is: how long will it take for my 0.5 kg block of cheese to sublimate whilst in the freezer?

Or should I start a new thread?: "Can Cheese Sublimate?"

1. Can cheese evaporate?

Yes, cheese can evaporate under certain conditions. Evaporation is the process of a liquid turning into a gas, and cheese contains moisture that can evaporate.

2. What causes cheese to evaporate?

Cheese can evaporate due to exposure to heat, air, and low humidity. When cheese is exposed to these factors, the moisture inside the cheese can evaporate, causing it to dry out.

3. How long does it take for cheese to evaporate?

The time it takes for cheese to evaporate depends on the type of cheese and the environmental conditions. Soft cheeses with high moisture content may evaporate faster than hard cheeses with lower moisture content. Exposure to heat and air can also speed up the evaporation process.

4. Is evaporated cheese still safe to eat?

It depends on the type of cheese and the extent of the evaporation. If the cheese has only lost some moisture and is still within its expiration date, it is likely safe to eat. However, if the cheese has dried out significantly and has mold or an off smell, it is best to discard it.

5. Can cheese be rehydrated after it has evaporated?

In some cases, cheese can be rehydrated by adding moisture back to it. This can be done by soaking the cheese in water or milk for a short period of time. However, this may affect the texture and taste of the cheese, so it is best to use rehydrated cheese in cooked dishes rather than eating it on its own.