Can cogging in permanent magnet motors be utilized for rotational movement?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
physea
Messages
211
Reaction score
3
Hello

With a normal magnet, we use energy to position a particle away from the magnet and then the magnet does work and moves it close to the magnet.

Is there any way to have such movement being rotational? Ie to uae energy to move a particle or point clockwise and then the magnet will move it anticlockwise?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SemM said:
You can place it on a rotating disk.

What do you mean??
 
I am not sure how you describe this system, maybe you should upload a sketch of what you are trying to explain.
 
SemM said:
You can place it on a rotating disk.
Like this:

http://syberspace.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi
6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg
    6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 810
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SemM
physea said:
Hello

With a normal magnet, we use energy to position a particle away from the magnet and then the magnet does work and moves it close to the magnet.

Is there any way to have such movement being rotational? Ie to uae energy to move a particle or point clockwise and then the magnet will move it anticlockwise?
There is one system where I can see the slave magnetic dipole rotating under the influence of a master magnetic dipole, but I'm not sure it is a stable system. Can you suggest some of the systems you have been thinking about?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SemM
berkeman said:
There is one system where I can see the slave magnetic dipole rotating under the influence of a master magnetic dipole, but I'm not sure it is a stable system. Can you suggest some of the systems you have been thinking about?

Unfortunately I am only outlining my requirements, I am not aware of any systems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
physea said:
Unfortunately I am only outlining my requirements, I am not aware of any systems.

You can use two rotating pendulums, bound to a ballbearing-tracked ring, where the magnet glides on. one with an inferior radius to the other. But I still don't get your original post. The pendulum like structure rotates about the center, instead of undulating back and forward, and hopefully the magnetic impulse each time they meet through rotating on the rings, they propagate one another to do another revolution.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
physea said:
Hello

With a normal magnet, we use energy to position a particle away from the magnet and then the magnet does work and moves it close to the magnet.

Is there any way to have such movement being rotational? Ie to uae energy to move a particle or point clockwise and then the magnet will move it anticlockwise?

It sounds like the first few seconds of this video.


This video is even better. It uses a magnet and a compass.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
I think what he means is that he wants a particle to rotate along a circumference rather than move directly closer to the magnet. If this is the case, I assume you could have a dipole on rotating disc and a counteracting dipole on the opposite side of the particle to make sure the particle follows a circumferential path and doesn't curve into the dipole.
 
Most small cheap permanent magnet motors exhibit an effect normally called cogging. If you try and rotate them by hand they don't turn smoothly but have a preference for stopping in certain position. This appears to meet the requirement of the OP (although it only works over small angles).