Can electrical curents flow from generator to transformer

In summary, when the transformer is shutdown, and generator/ups/battery is used to keep the power supply to critical components, current will flow into the transformer circuit.
rohithreddyk
Hi, got a doubt this mng, when I heard the power will be shutdown in my office tomorrow to repair a faulty circuit b/w transformer and my office.

when the transformer is shutdown, and generator/ups/battery is used to keep the power supply to critical components, will the current flow into transformer circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what transformer you're talking about, but I suspect there is a an autotransfer switch between the main building transformer or utility transformer (if there is one) and the main switchgear that switches between utility power and generator power.

Often, utility power comes in at 480 V (or higher) and is stepped-down to 208/120 after the main switchgear, so that transformer would likely still be powered by a generator.

I think he's talking about an on-site generator that supplies the building with power when the mains goes offline. That being the case, it should have a transfer switch which keeps the generator from backfeeding the utility supply transformer. This is why you should never plug a generator straight into an outlet to supply backup power--although you can open the main breaker to keep from backfeeding the utility, all it takes is one moment of carelessness to put the lives of utility workers at risk. Have your home backup generators properly wired with a transfer switch!

That's what I was talking about...maybe i wasn't clear.

Backup power from UPS/battery and generators can (depending on backup) come on in less than 1 power cycle, and as pointed out in an earlier post, disconnects the mains. The other problem is what happens when the mains power comes back on. Ideally, the backup power should synchronize phase with the mains before the mains are smoothly connected; otherwise ther could be a reactive power surge. Many small battery/UPS systems can do this seemlessly, but I don't know how or whether big diesel/electric standby generators do this.

Last edited:
thanks everyone...i got what i was looking for. :approve:

1. Can currents flow from a generator to a transformer in both directions?

Yes, electrical currents can flow from a generator to a transformer and vice versa. This is the basic principle of how electricity is transmitted and distributed.

2. Is the flow of currents affected by the type of generator or transformer being used?

Yes, the flow of currents can be affected by the type and specifications of the generator and transformer. Factors such as voltage, frequency, and impedance can impact the flow of currents.

3. What happens if there is a mismatch between the generator and transformer?

If there is a mismatch between the generator and transformer, it can result in inefficient energy transfer, voltage fluctuations, and potential damage to the equipment. It is important to ensure that the generator and transformer are properly matched for optimal performance.

4. Can electrical currents flow from a generator to a transformer without any losses?

No, there will always be some losses during the transmission of electrical currents from a generator to a transformer. These losses can be affected by factors such as the distance between the two, the quality of the equipment, and external factors such as weather conditions.

5. How is the flow of electrical currents controlled between a generator and transformer?

The flow of electrical currents between a generator and transformer is controlled through various methods such as using switches, transformers, and circuit breakers. These components help regulate the flow of electricity and prevent any potential damage to the equipment.