Can electro-weak unification be tested at CERN?

In summary: No, that's not what he said. He said that the transition energy is the energy above which masses of W and Z bosons are insignificant. At those energies, seeing QED/weak interactions as exchange of W+-,Z,gamma bosons is not a useful description. It would be simpler to see it as exchange of W1,W2,W3 and B bosons of original, unbroken symmetries.
Carlos L. Janer
1.- Electroweak interaction broke its symmetry about 1ps after the Big Bang and two different types of interactions appeared: weak interactions and electrodynamics.

2.- The LHC at Geneva is routinely conducting experiments above the energy threshold of electroweak unification. Could these experiments reproduce (at a very small scale) the state the Universe was at 1ps after the Big Bang?

3.- If so, have they foud any evidence of the massless right and left handed electrons? Have the found any evidence of the three massless W bosons and the massless B boson?

4.- If not, can they? After all, there are no such fields in our frozen Universe. How could all these particles exist without the corresponding vacuum fields from which they could be brought into existence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unification doesn't work this way. What unification means is that there is a set of forces (electromagnetic and weak) that can be described by a single set of equations with a single strength. This has been shown to be the case at many times and places, perhaps most elegantly by Hera:

electroweak_unification.jpg

At low energies, there appear to be two different forces with two different strengths (the red and the blue), but at high energies they come together. That's unification.

You seem to be talking about the electroweak phase transition, which happens at a very high temperature (probablly above 100 TeV) and it is a many-body problem. So not only does each individual particle need a lot more energy that the LHC can produce, you need a lot of them.

Likes mfb
Carlos L. Janer said:
3.- If so, have they foud any evidence of the massless right and left handed electrons? Have the found any evidence of the three massless W bosons and the massless B boson?

Isn't that the Goldstone boson equivalence theorem?

Vanadium 50: I'm not sure if I understood you well. Do you mean that 'weak and electromagnetic interaction unification energy' roughly means that you need to use Weinberg's-Salam theory to achieve accurate results? and at much lower energies you could just use QED and Fermi's model?
Vanadium 50: Did you also mean that 'electroweak phase transition energy' is the energy scale at which QED and weak force running coupling contants merge?

Vanadium 50 doesn't seem to be available at the moment. Could anybody tell me if what I understood from his explanation is, at least, a rough simplification of what he actually said? I'm not even a physicist and even a crude aproximation would do for me.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Did you also mean that 'electroweak phase transition energy' is the energy scale at which QED and weak force running coupling contants merge?

Current theory says that there is no "QED force" at all. There are two weak forces, one is due to weak isospin SU(2) symmetry, another is due to weak hypercharge U(1) symmetry. These forces have coupling constants g2 and g1. "QED force" is due to existence of linear combination of SU(2) and U(1) generators which leaves our vacuum invariant. This linear combination generates (another) U(1) group. Its coupling constant, "fine structure constant" is 1/4pi * (g1*g2)^2/(g1^2 + g2^2).

Thus, "QED and weak force running coupling contants merge" doesn't even make sense, really.

The transition energy is the energy above which masses of W and Z bosons are insignificant. At those energies, seeing QED/weak interactions as exchange of W+-,Z,gamma bosons is not a useful description. It would be simpler to see it as exchange of W1,W2,W3 and B bosons of original, unbroken symmetries.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Vanadium 50: I'm not sure if I understood you well. Do you mean that 'weak and electromagnetic interaction unification energy' roughly means that you need to use Weinberg's-Salam theory to achieve accurate results? and at much lower energies you could just use QED and Fermi's model?
Vanadium 50: Did you also mean that 'electroweak phase transition energy' is the energy scale at which QED and weak force running coupling contants merge?
I cannot read minds, but I guess he meant something like that.

Thank you for your interest, mfb!

1. What is electro-weak unification and why is it important?

Electro-weak unification is a theory in particle physics that combines the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces into one unified force. It is important because it helps us better understand the fundamental forces of nature and provides a more complete understanding of the universe.

2. How does CERN test electro-weak unification?

CERN uses the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to accelerate particles to high energies and collide them together. This allows scientists to study the properties of particles and test theories such as electro-weak unification.

3. What evidence supports the theory of electro-weak unification?

One key piece of evidence is the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 at the LHC. This particle is predicted by the electro-weak unification theory and its discovery provides strong support for the theory.

4. What are the potential implications of confirming electro-weak unification at CERN?

If electro-weak unification is confirmed at CERN, it would provide a significant advancement in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. It could also lead to new technologies and potentially help us answer some of the biggest questions in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

5. Are there any other experiments or facilities besides CERN that can test electro-weak unification?

Yes, there are other facilities around the world that can test electro-weak unification, such as the Fermilab in the United States and the KEK in Japan. However, CERN's LHC is currently the most powerful particle accelerator and is therefore a crucial tool in testing this theory.