Can I Combine Engineering, Physics, and Mathematics in One Career?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career that combines engineering, physics, and mathematics, possibly through a research job or a "slash career" with multiple specializations. They are seeking advice on how to achieve this and whether it is feasible to excel in all three fields simultaneously.
Sid Collins
Greetings Physics Forums!

I am currently applying to universities here in the United States and have been fascinated with engineering, physics, and mathematics for years now. I love the idea of designing and building as an engineer, researching and discovering as a physicist and research as a mathematician. I have also recently come across the idea of a "slash career," where an individual possesses multiple careers and specializations. My question to you ladies and gentlemen, is how I might combine engineering, physics, and mathematics into one career or possibly allowing them to exist as multiple work oppurtunites at the same time. Any advice for an aspiring student will be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your plan to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, or is your plan to do three things as well as full-timers do?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is your plan to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, or is your plan to do three things as well as full-timers do?
Or he could be a manager.

It would be amazing to do all three as well as full-timers do!

That will take about 120 hours per week, or more. Sounds like a truly miserable life.

I completely agree. I merely jest at that fact, but I want something that possibly combines all of them. Would a research job fulfill such? Any suggestions?

Most engineering work will involve physics and math. Experimental physics work will involve engineering and math.

1. What are the benefits of having multiple careers?

Having multiple careers can provide a wide range of benefits, including increased job security, a more diverse skill set, the ability to explore different interests and passions, and a higher potential for income and career growth.

2. Is it common for scientists to have multiple careers?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for scientists to have multiple careers. This is due to the growing demand for interdisciplinary research and the need for scientists to have a diverse set of skills and experiences.

3. How do I balance multiple careers as a scientist?

Balancing multiple careers can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Set clear boundaries and communicate your availability to each employer, and make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

4. Can having multiple careers as a scientist affect my research or job performance?

It is possible that having multiple careers can affect your research or job performance, particularly if you are overworked or have conflicting responsibilities. However, with effective time management and clear communication, it is possible to excel in multiple careers as a scientist.

5. What types of careers can I have in addition to being a scientist?

The options for multiple careers as a scientist are endless and can vary greatly depending on your interests and skills. Some popular options include teaching, science writing or communication, consulting, entrepreneurship, and working in industry or government positions.