Can I hardwire 12v light to my 110v house wires?

  • Thread starter Thread starter greggo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    12v Light Wires
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
greggo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have a strand of 12v led lights that I'd like to use as under mount lights for my kitchen cabinets. Is there a way to hook the lights up to my existing 110v wiring assuming there is a converter necessary?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
do the LED light units require an AC or DC supply ?
they are available in both versions

if AC, then you would need a 110V to 12V transformer plug pack ( wallwart)
if DC then a 110VAC to 12VDC transformer plug pack ( wallwart)

have you got a link to the type of LED light units you have so we can make a more informed response ?

cheers
Dave
 
It requires a DC12V input. Before, I used a 9V wall plug, but now I'm wanting to hard wire them. So I guess I need the 110VAC to DC12V transformer?
 
greggo said:
It requires a DC12V input. Before, I used a 9V wall plug, but now I'm wanting to hard wire them. So I guess I need the 110VAC to DC12V transformer?

Yep. Just look for the DC 12V output wall transformer that has a high enough output current rating to supply the needed current to your LED string.
 
I assume you are not a licensed electrician so anything you hard wire into your mains supply will void your home fire insurance. Best to stick with a plug in tranny