Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I hardwire 12v light to my 110v house wires?

  1. Dec 30, 2014 #1
    I have a strand of 12v led lights that I'd like to use as under mount lights for my kitchen cabinets. Is there a way to hook the lights up to my existing 110v wiring assuming there is a converter necessary?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

    do the LED light units require an AC or DC supply ?
    they are available in both versions

    if AC, then you would need a 110V to 12V transformer plug pack ( wallwart)
    if DC then a 110VAC to 12VDC transformer plug pack ( wallwart)

    have you got a link to the type of LED light units you have so we can make a more informed response ?

  4. Dec 30, 2014 #3
    It requires a DC12V input. Before, I used a 9V wall plug, but now I'm wanting to hard wire them. So I guess I need the 110VAC to DC12V transformer?
  5. Dec 30, 2014 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Yep. Just look for the DC 12V output wall transformer that has a high enough output current rating to supply the needed current to your LED string.
  6. Dec 30, 2014 #5
    Perfect. Thank you.
  7. Jan 1, 2015 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I assume you are not a licensed electrician so anything you hard wire into your mains supply will void your home fire insurance. Best to stick with a plug in tranny
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Can I hardwire 12v light to my 110v house wires?