Can I hardwire 12v light to my 110v house wires?

In summary, the conversation discusses using 12v LED lights as under mount lights for kitchen cabinets and how to connect them to existing 110v wiring. It is mentioned that the LED lights are available in both AC and DC versions and a transformer plug pack is necessary for each. The person also notes that they previously used a 9V wall plug but now wants to hard wire them, and it is suggested to use a 110VAC to DC12V transformer. It is also advised to make sure the transformer has a high enough output current rating and that hard wiring may void home fire insurance.
greggo
I have a strand of 12v led lights that I'd like to use as under mount lights for my kitchen cabinets. Is there a way to hook the lights up to my existing 110v wiring assuming there is a converter necessary?

Engineering news on Phys.org
do the LED light units require an AC or DC supply ?
they are available in both versions

if AC, then you would need a 110V to 12V transformer plug pack ( wallwart)
if DC then a 110VAC to 12VDC transformer plug pack ( wallwart)

have you got a link to the type of LED light units you have so we can make a more informed response ?

cheers
Dave

It requires a DC12V input. Before, I used a 9V wall plug, but now I'm wanting to hard wire them. So I guess I need the 110VAC to DC12V transformer?

greggo said:
It requires a DC12V input. Before, I used a 9V wall plug, but now I'm wanting to hard wire them. So I guess I need the 110VAC to DC12V transformer?

Yep. Just look for the DC 12V output wall transformer that has a high enough output current rating to supply the needed current to your LED string.

Perfect. Thank you.

I assume you are not a licensed electrician so anything you hard wire into your mains supply will void your home fire insurance. Best to stick with a plug in tranny

1. Can I use a 12v light with my 110v house wiring?

Yes, you can use a 12v light with your 110v house wiring by using a transformer to convert the voltage from 110v to 12v. This will ensure that the light receives the correct voltage and does not get damaged.

2. Is it safe to hardwire a 12v light to my 110v house wiring?

It is not safe to directly hardwire a 12v light to your 110v house wiring without using a transformer. This can cause the light to overheat and potentially cause a fire. Always use a transformer to ensure the safety of your home and yourself.

3. Can I use any transformer for hardwiring a 12v light?

No, you should use a transformer that is specifically designed for converting 110v to 12v. Using the wrong transformer can result in the light not receiving enough voltage or receiving too much voltage, which can damage the light or cause it to malfunction.

4. How do I know what wattage transformer to use for my 12v light?

You should use a transformer with a wattage that is equal to or greater than the wattage of your 12v light. This will ensure that the transformer can handle the power needed for the light to function properly. It is always better to use a transformer with a higher wattage than the light's wattage to avoid overloading the transformer.

5. Can I hardwire multiple 12v lights to my 110v house wiring?

Yes, you can hardwire multiple 12v lights to your 110v house wiring by using a transformer with a higher wattage and multiple output ports. This will allow you to power multiple lights with a single transformer and ensure that each light receives the correct voltage.