1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I start With spivak?

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    The question is if I can start with Spivak's calculus without reading a book like calculus made easy or the calculus lifesaver?and If I can't which is better calculus made easy or the calculus life saver or another?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2
    Depends. What is your mathematical background like? In other words, what books have you read and what classes have you taken?

4. Jul 1, 2013 #3
    Basic mathematics By Lang...

5. Jul 1, 2013 #4
    Yes. But it may take you a long time to read it. I was working on spivak 10 hours a day over a sumer (15-16 week college summer) and was still unable to finsih the first 24 chapters (got through about 20).

I recommend doing Spivak but give yourself as long as you need.

6. Jul 1, 2013 #5
    Thanks...I Don't have very much I can do about 6-8 hours a day what about first course in calculus by lang ?

7. Jul 1, 2013 #6
    First course in Calculus by Lang is much easier but also quite good imo.

8. Jul 1, 2013 #7
    If you completed all of Lang's book, you should be okay to go ahead with Spivak. Try it out and if it's too hard for you, work through an easier book.

9. Jul 1, 2013 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in 1960 all exceptional honors freshman calculus students at harvard started with a course harder than spivak (math 11) and without any comparable textbook. the answer to your question may still be no, but if you do so, it will not be the first time someone has made this mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted