Start with Spivak's Calculus: A Guide to Choosing the Best Resource

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to start with Spivak's calculus without reading a book like Calculus Made Easy or The Calculus Lifesaver. It ultimately depends on the individual's mathematical background and how much time they are willing to devote to studying. It is recommended to start with an easier book like First Course in Calculus by Lang before attempting Spivak. However, it is noted that in the past, exceptional students at Harvard have successfully started with a more difficult course without a comparable textbook.
theoristo
The question is if I can start with Spivak's calculus without reading a book like calculus made easy or the calculus lifesaver?and If I can't which is better calculus made easy or the calculus life saver or another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. What is your mathematical background like? In other words, what books have you read and what classes have you taken?

dustbin said:
Depends. What is your mathematical background like? In other words, what books have you read and what classes have you taken?

Basic mathematics By Lang...

Yes. But it may take you a long time to read it. I was working on spivak 10 hours a day over a sumer (15-16 week college summer) and was still unable to finsih the first 24 chapters (got through about 20).

I recommend doing Spivak but give yourself as long as you need.

Thanks...I Don't have very much I can do about 6-8 hours a day what about first course in calculus by lang ?

First course in Calculus by Lang is much easier but also quite good imo.

If you completed all of Lang's book, you should be okay to go ahead with Spivak. Try it out and if it's too hard for you, work through an easier book.

in 1960 all exceptional honors freshman calculus students at harvard started with a course harder than spivak (math 11) and without any comparable textbook. the answer to your question may still be no, but if you do so, it will not be the first time someone has made this mistake.

1. Can I start with Spivak even if I have no background in mathematics?

Yes, you can start with Spivak even if you have no background in mathematics. The book is designed to be accessible to beginners, as long as you have a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry.

2. Is Spivak's Calculus considered a difficult book?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus is considered a difficult book by many students and educators. It is known for its rigorous and challenging approach to calculus, which may be overwhelming for some readers.

3. Can I use Spivak's Calculus as a textbook for a course?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus can be used as a textbook for a course. It is often used in honors or advanced calculus courses, and some universities even use it as the main textbook for their introductory calculus course.

4. How long does it take to complete Spivak's Calculus?

The time it takes to complete Spivak's Calculus varies for each individual. Some may be able to work through it in a semester or two, while others may take longer. It also depends on your background in mathematics and your dedication to studying the material.

5. What makes Spivak's Calculus different from other calculus books?

Spivak's Calculus is known for its rigorous approach and its emphasis on proofs and mathematical reasoning. It also covers advanced topics in calculus, such as the epsilon-delta definition of limits and the rigorous development of the foundations of calculus.