Tesladude said:
Ok so would running bridged tda2050 on an 8 ohm speaker give me a noticeable increase in volume?
It would give you a barely noticeable increase in perceived volume, because the ear is non-linear. Mother Nature made it that way so we can hear little things stirring in the night as well as very loud big things nearby.
When I first started all this I was going to use a simple linear power supply to run 2 tda2050s giving me left and right ear at a reasonable volume on an 8 ohm speaker. I tried it, and It didn't seem loud enough for me.
If that picture is your setup then you are starving your TDA for power.
You probably have around 8 volts going to it which drops fast as it tries to make any honest amount of power. You can't run a Corvette V8 engine with a Briggs&Strattom lawnmower carburetor.
You need a stout source .
That transformer is preposterous - you need one that weighs at least three pounds.
e.g.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond/182N18/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujvAPpAo%2fzTEzr5eMEjvsXv%252beHkdMeGhUg%3d
Also speakers in free air sound terrible because the air behind the cone simply shuffles around to the front allowing the cone to travel to its limit with quite modest power . That's contributing to your perceived distortion. Cut a hole in a piece of cardboard for the speaker (a primitive baffle) and place it atop a wastebasket(primitive enclosure) . You'll hear a difference as you move it toward the enclosure.
I wanted to continue useing the tda2050 because of it's simplicity, low voltage, and price.
So, having little experience with bridge, I figured I would just have 2 bridge circuits to give me a lot more power for each ear. I read if you have 100 watts into 4 ohms, then bridge you will have 200 into 8.
If that is so then bridged I will have 60 watts into 8ohms since this chip does 30 watts into 4ohms.
Then came in a suitable power supply for this and unless the bridged plans are changed, then that's where I am with this.
Where you are is you have mis-diagnosed your problem.
What you think is insufficient amplifier is actually insufficient power supply for the amplifier that you have.
Now from what I think I am hearing up above is that this will not give me more volume?(virtually) And it is not worth the effort?
Well- give the single TDA a chance by hooking it to an adequate power source. Then you'll be in a better position to judge its need for improvement.
Can you borrow two 12 volt batteries? Lawnmower or motorcycle batteries would be perfect, easier to carry than car batteries. Even at +- 12 volts that TDA will make ten watts which will blast you out of the room before it distorts.
And baffle that speaker. The whole premise of loudspeaker design is to separate the front from the rear of the cone.
After you've tried the TDA with adequate power supply and baffled the speaker let us know how it sounds.
I predict you'll be quite happy with the single TDA configuration. Bridging will make it sound only a teeny bit louder.
Your heatsink is way too small for the final design. Pillage a big one from a junked car stereo.
old jim