Can I Use an SCR Dimmer for My Old Phone Ringer Project?

• Thread starter abodell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses a project to get an old phone from the 50's to ring with a ringer voltage of 80V @ 20-25 Hrtz. The individual is seeking a cost-effective way to achieve this and is considering using a variac to set the voltage, but still needs a way to alter the frequency. A solution suggested is to use an SCR dimmer triggered by a microprocessor that counts AC cycles and triggers on every third one to produce the desired 80 volts RMS.
abodell
Hello All, I am working on a project to get a old phone (from the 50's) to ring. The problem that I have is ringer voltage is 80V @ 20-25 Hrtz. I am trying to come up with a really cheap way to achieve this. I was thinking of getting a variac to set the voltage at 80V but I would still need a way to alter the frequency. Any help will be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get an SCR dimmer. Arrange it to be triggered by a microprocessor (like a 16F684) where it counts AC cycles and triggers on every third one. If you delay the trigger for the right length of time in the AC cycle you will get the 80 volts RMS too.

Related to Can I Use an SCR Dimmer for My Old Phone Ringer Project?

1. What is the purpose of "Project: Old Phone Ringer"?

The purpose of "Project: Old Phone Ringer" is to investigate the acoustic properties of old phone ringers and how they differ from modern phone ringers.

2. How will the data be collected for this project?

The data will be collected by recording the sound of various old phone ringers and modern phone ringers using a microphone and audio recording software.

3. What are the potential applications of this project?

This project can provide insights into the design and functionality of old phone ringers, and can potentially be used in the development of retro phone ringtones or in the restoration of vintage telephones.

4. How will the data be analyzed and interpreted?

The recorded data will be analyzed using audio analysis software to measure the frequency, amplitude, and other acoustic properties of the old phone ringers. The results will be compared to those of modern phone ringers and interpreted to identify any significant differences.

5. What is the expected outcome of "Project: Old Phone Ringer"?

The expected outcome of this project is to gain a better understanding of the acoustic characteristics of old phone ringers and to identify any differences between them and modern phone ringers. This information can be used for educational or practical purposes.