Can I use any watt light bulb on my ceiling without risking an explosion?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
I am just wondering what makes a light bulb brighter? Is it the power (Watts) rating on the bulb? I am attempting to change light bulbs on the ceiling, but will any watts work? Can my ceiling exploded if the filament burns out because the rating is too high
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about incandescent light bulbs, you are correct to worry about this...incandescent light bulbs have a very low efficiency in that they convert only about 20% of those watts into light and the other 80% into heat...so, I would be careful and not install a 100-watt or higher light bulb in an old lamp...it may burn it or melt it.

If you are talking about today's fluorescent cold light bulbs, you don't have to worry about this...with more watts you simply get more light, not so much more heat.