Can Infinity Be Even? | Exploring the Possibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of even and odd numbers in relation to infinity and the number of points on a circle. The argument is that infinity cannot be classified as either even or odd, and the suggestion that the set of points on a circle has an even number of points is deemed meaningless. It is also mentioned that the idea of infinity as a function or algorithm is not correct. The conversation concludes that the concept of even and odd numbers is not applicable to infinity and sets with infinite cardinalities.
Chris Miller
Since every point on a circle has exactly one other point (opposite its diameter) whose tangent is parallel, can it be said (proven?) that a circle is composed of an even number of points? It's messing with my head to think of infinity as even. I realize one-to-one mappings in infinite sets don't prove this, but here it's just too symmetrical. There can be no "odd" point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Chris Miller said:
Since every point on a circle has exactly one other point (opposite its diameter) whose tangent is parallel, can it be said (proven?) that a circle is composed of an even number of points? It's messing with my head to think of infinity as even. I realize one-to-one mappings in infinite sets don't prove this, but here it's just too symmetrical. There can be no "odd" point.
Sorry, but all that is just a meaningless argument. Infinity is not even or odd, it's not even a number like 3 or 4.

Chris Miller said:
How do you define "even"? Does the cardinality of the set of points on a circle qualify to be considered?

How do you define "odd"? Might the cardinality of the set of points on a circle also qualify as odd?

I realize infinity isn't a number, but more a function or algorithm. But as the number of sides of a regular polygon approaches infinity, the polygon approaches a circle. Every side of a polygon with an even number of sides will have another that is parallel. A regular polygon with an odd number of sides will have no parallel sides. If one considers a point to be a side of an infinite-sided regular polygon (i.e., circle), then it must have an even number of "sides."

If n&1==0 then n is even, else odd.
No, I would not have thought any infinite set could qualify as either, until now. And I see no evidence of the set of points on a circle as being odd, only even.

If infinity was odd then ##2\cdot\infty=\infty## should be even, which is a contradiction. If infinity was even then ##\infty+1=\infty## should be odd, which is a contradiction. We must therefore conclude, that infinity is neither even nor odd.

Likewise a point on a circle will have 2 other points that are 120 degrees either side of it making sets of 3 points. That also gets to infinity faster than sets of two point. It's all nonsense.

Likes nasu
If the expressions given were valid then you could also prove 1 == 2. So they cannot be used to conclude anything. They are the equivalent of division by zero.

An even number can be divided evenly by 3. Although, this does raise other interesting (to me) ideas (like that the "number" of points is a perfect factorial).

Last edited:
Chris Miller said:
An even number can be divided evenly by 3. Although, this does raise other interesting (to me) ideas (like that the "number" of points is a perfect factorial).
You're just playing with numerology here and it will get you nowhere. As Cwatters said, it's all nonsense.

Chris Miller said:
I realize infinity isn't a number
Then you have to stop right there. If it is not a number then you cannot meaningfully speak of the last digit in its binary expansion. That would be needed in order to evaluate n&1 == 0.

That is a very strong hint that your definition of "even" is inadequate to deal with infinite cardinalities.

Chris Miller said:
but more a function or algorithm.
That is a pre-Cantorian intuition. It is not correct.

Chris Miller said:
An even number can be divided evenly by 3.
Was the 3 here a typo? Some even numbers are divisible by 3 (such as 6), but not all even numbers are divisible by 3.

Sorry, Mark. I meant some even numbers. E.g., all factorials are even.

Agree n&1 is meaningless applied to infinity, jbriggs. Maybe even could be defined as a perfect one to one mapping... For every set element there is one and only one other corresponding element. I get it's "nonsense." Just as I see the cosmological notion that the mass/size of the universe is infinite to be nonsense (another thread). I guess the step from a regular polygon whose number of sides approaches infinity and a circle is just too big.

Chris Miller said:
all factorials are even
I can think of two obvious counter-examples.

Yes, one could define a generalized notion corresponding to evenness:

Let S be a set and n be an strictly positive integer.

Definition: set S "is a multiple" of n if and only if there exist n disjoint subsets ##S_1 ... S_n## such that for every pair of integers (i, j) with 1 <= i <= n and 1 <= j <= n there exists a bijection between ##S_i## and ##S_j## and S is the union of all the subsets ##S_1## through ##S_n##.

It is immediately obvious that every set whose cardinality is that of the continuum "is a multiple" of every strictly positive integer. Which is to say that this definition is pretty much pointless.

We could go on in this vein:

Definition: a set S is "even" if and only if it "is a multiple" of 2

Definition: a set S is "odd" if and only if there exists an element s in S such that the set difference, S - {s} is "even".

It follows quickly that all sets whose cardinality is that of the continuum are both odd and even.

Edit: and @TeethWhitener has exhibited a demonstration of this.

Last edited:
Likes sleepy polygon and QuantumQuest
Chris Miller said:
Mappings can get weird and counterintuitive. For instance, let's assume for now that you're right and the number of points in a circle is "even." (Call this set A) Then let's consider adding a single "odd" point at the center of the circle. (Call the set with the circle plus point at center B) The problem with saying that one set has an even number of points and the other has an odd number is that you can make a bijection between the two sets: For simplicity, consider the set A as the unit circle in the complex plane. Take the center "odd" point (##0 \in \mathbb{C}##) in B and map it onto the 0° point in A (##1=e^{2\pi i}##). Then take the 0° point in B (##e^{2\pi i}##) and map it onto the 180° point in A (##e^{\pi i}##). Continuing, we get a map:
$$
f(x) =
\begin{cases}
e^{2\pi i} & \text{if } x =0 \\
e^{2\pi i/2^{n+1}} & \text{if } x = e^{2\pi i/2^n}\\
x & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
So there is a bijection between an "even" set and an "odd" set: they have the same number of points.

Likes QuantumQuest, PeroK and jbriggs444
Chris Miller said:

Definition: a non-empty set ##X## is "even" if it can be expressed as a disjoint union of two sets ##X = X_1 \cup X_2##, with ##X_1 \cap X_2 = \emptyset##, where there exists a one-to-one mapping from ##X_1## onto ##X_2##.

Proposition: all infinite sets are even.

Can you prove that?

Note: by definition we could define the empty set to be even.

With a similar definition of "odd" you could prove that all infinite sets are odd. For example:

Definition: a non-empty set ##Y## is odd if for some ##y \in Y##, the set ##Y - \{y\}## is even.

PS can you also prove that these definitions of "even" and "odd" are equivalent to the normal ones for finite sets?

Likes QuantumQuest and jbriggs444
Not being a number (or a function or algorithm), infinity is neither odd nor even.
Thread closed.

1. Can infinity be even?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it is still a topic of debate among mathematicians and scientists. Some argue that infinity is a concept rather than a number, and therefore cannot be classified as even or odd. Others believe that infinity can be divided by 2, making it even. Ultimately, the answer depends on one's perspective and interpretation of infinity.

2. What is infinity?

Infinity is a concept that represents something that is endless, boundless, or without any limit. In mathematics, infinity is often used to describe a number that is greater than any real or imaginable number.

3. How is infinity related to even numbers?

Some mathematicians argue that infinity can be divided by 2, making it an even number. This is because infinity is considered to be the limit of a sequence of numbers that are increasing by 2 each time. However, others argue that infinity is a concept rather than a number, and therefore cannot be classified as even or odd.

4. Can infinity be divided by any number?

No, infinity cannot be divided by any number. This is because infinity is not a real number and therefore cannot be manipulated using mathematical operations. However, some mathematicians argue that infinity can be divided by 2, making it an even number.

5. How is the possibility of infinity being even explored?

The possibility of infinity being even is explored through mathematical theories and concepts. Some mathematicians use the concept of limits and infinite series to argue that infinity can be divided by 2, while others use the concept of infinity as a concept rather than a number to argue against it being even. The debate continues to be explored and discussed by mathematicians and scientists.