Can kg/m2h Be Converted to m/s for Process Calculations?

• Thread starter chispofish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, there is no direct conversion from kg/m2h to m/s. However, it is possible to calculate the linear velocity by converting the mass flux to volumetric flux and then dividing by 3600 to adjust for the units of time. This is a calculation rather than a direct conversion.
chispofish
Is there a wat to transform kg/m2h to m/s

I'm not sure if kg/m2h is for Evaporation coefficient, Water flux,Drying rate or Mass transfer coefficient. However one of the can be transform to m/s (maybe Impingement velocity)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how you would do that. You are talking about base units in the SI system (except for hours which is easily replaced by seconds). There's no direct conversion.

kg/m2h is a mass flux of a substance through an area
m/s is the linear velocity of that substance

Therefore, step 1 is to convert the mass flow to volumetric flow (divide by density).
then you'll need to realize that:
m3/m2h = 1 m/h
so, the volume passing through an area per time equals linear velocity.

Then divide by 3600 to get the /h in stead of /s. (3600 seconds in 1 hour).

That's a calculation, not a conversion/transformation. I guess I shouldn't take the posts so literally.

FredGarvin said:
That's a calculation, not a conversion/transformation. I guess I shouldn't take the posts so literally.

Hehe... you probably shouldn't. On internet you can never be sure you're talking to a native English speaker (who can be expected to choose exactly the right words) or someone (like me) who is merely likely to choose the right words :D

Related to Can kg/m2h Be Converted to m/s for Process Calculations?

What is the formula for converting kg/m2h to m/s?

The formula for converting kg/m2h to m/s is (kg/m2h) x 0.0002778 = m/s. This formula is derived by dividing the number of kilograms by the number of square meters and then multiplying by 0.0002778, which is the conversion factor for hours to seconds.

Why is it important to know how to convert kg/m2h to m/s?

Knowing how to convert between different units of measurement is important for scientific research, as well as everyday tasks. In this case, understanding the relationship between kg/m2h and m/s can be useful for converting flow rates or velocities in different units, which can be important in fields such as fluid dynamics or meteorology.

What is the difference between kg/m2h and m/s?

kg/m2h and m/s are both units of measurement for different quantities. Kg/m2h is a unit of mass flow rate, representing the amount of mass that passes through an area in a certain amount of time. On the other hand, m/s is a unit of velocity, representing the speed of an object in meters per second.

Can you provide an example of converting kg/m2h to m/s?

Yes, for example, if we have a mass flow rate of 2 kg/m2h, we can convert it to m/s by multiplying it by 0.0002778. This gives us a velocity of 0.0005556 m/s. So, 2 kg/m2h is equivalent to 0.0005556 m/s.

Are there any tools or resources available to assist with converting kg/m2h to m/s?

Yes, there are many online unit conversion calculators that can help with converting between different units of measurement. Additionally, many scientific calculators also have unit conversion functions. It is always important to double-check your conversions with reliable sources to ensure accuracy.