Can Lightning Strike on a Car Kill You?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of being killed by lightning while inside a car. It is mentioned that being in a Faraday cage can protect one from being electrocuted but there is a question about whether the heat generated by the lightning strike could still harm someone inside the car. It is stated that a car is only a partial Faraday cage and it is less likely to be electrocuted inside a car compared to being outside. A video is shared to demonstrate the effects of lightning on a car and it is mentioned that the lightning strike would not significantly raise the temperature inside the car. One person shares their personal experience of being in a car that was hit by lightning and it caused damage to the car.
Jim Kata
If lightning strikes your car, would it kill you? I understand that you are in a Faraday cage so you are protected from being electrocuted, but would the sheer heat cook you?

Science news on Phys.org
A car is only a partial faraday cage. You can still be electrocuted but it's a lot less likely than if you're outside the car.

A lightning bolt wouldn't actually raise the temperature inside the car very much - most of the energy would simply pass around the car.

i was in a 1969 Plymouth Fury towing our drag car to the drag strip and the car was hit by lightning. The radio antenna caught the charge. the antenna was blown to the pavement and richochetted back up and put a nice hole in the aluminum fender of the 1963 Plymouth drag car we were towing...maybe that's why i and so messed up?

Related to Can Lightning Strike on a Car Kill You?

What happens if my car is struck by lightning?

If your car is struck by lightning, there is a possibility that it may cause damage to your vehicle. The electrical current from the lightning strike can pass through the metal frame of the car and potentially damage the electronic systems, such as the engine, radio, and computer.

Is it safe to stay inside my car during a lightning storm?

It is generally safe to stay inside your car during a lightning storm. Cars are designed with metal frames that act as a Faraday cage, which helps to direct the electrical current around the occupants of the car. However, it is recommended to avoid touching any metal objects inside the car, such as the steering wheel or radio.

What should I do if my car is struck by lightning?

If your car is struck by lightning, it is important to stay calm and assess the situation. If you are able to, safely pull over to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. Check for any signs of damage to the car and call for assistance if needed. Do not touch any metal objects inside the car until the storm has passed.

Can my car's tires protect me from a lightning strike?

No, your car's tires cannot protect you from a lightning strike. The rubber in the tires is a poor conductor of electricity, so it does not provide any protection. It is the metal frame of the car that helps to protect occupants from the electrical current.

What are some precautions I can take to reduce the risk of my car being struck by lightning?

To reduce the risk of your car being struck by lightning, it is recommended to avoid open areas and tall objects during a lightning storm. If possible, park your car in a garage or under a carport. You can also install a lightning protection system on your car, which can help to divert the electrical current away from the vehicle.