Can magnets be used to send a metal ball through a pipe?

In summary: For now just enough to shoot through a thin piece of plywood, maybe several mm thick. Then stronger later on.
Alanay
To elaborate more on my question: Is it possible to send metal balls through a pipe with magnets arranged a certain way which could hit a target with force. I've seen something similar done before but I think the ball was also a magnet, is that the only way possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of metal is the ball? If it is a magnetic substance, then it would certainly be possible.

Likes Alanay
Comeback City said:
What type of metal is the ball? If it is a magnetic substance, then it would certainly be possible.
Any that I can buy online or from a general hardware store. Can you give me an example with what kind or arrangement this can be done? I was hoping to place loads of magnets on 4 parallel sides inside a pipe. Would the magnets have to be 2 by 1 something and then place diagonally like I have seen in videos?

Alanay said:
Any that I can buy online or from a general hardware store.
"Metal" is way too vague. What element/compound/alloy are you speaking of that makes up the ball? Only certain elements on the periodic table are magnetic.

Comeback City said:
"Metal" is way too vague. What element/compound/alloy are you speaking of that makes up the ball? Only certain elements on the periodic table are magnetic.
Like I said it doesn't matter, just tell me which ones can be used. I found this image though, do you know if it is accurate?

antostoof1_polarity.png

Alanay said:
Any that I can buy online or from a general hardware store. Can you give me an example with what kind or arrangement this can be done? I was hoping to place loads of magnets on 4 parallel sides inside a pipe. Would the magnets have to be 2 by 1 something and then place diagonally like I have seen in videos?

Are you trying to ask how to build a weapon?

Alanay said:
Like I said it doesn't matter, just tell me which ones can be used.
Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt are all magnetic elements.

Likes Alanay
anorlunda said:
Are you trying to ask how to build a weapon?
Basically yes, it's a personal project. I've applied for a weapons engineering job and wanted to be able to put a few things on my CV. I've wanted to do this for a while anyway.
Comeback City said:
Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt are all magnetic elements.
Thank you, do you know if 30 x 15 x 5 mm magnets with 10 kg force stacked in rows as shown in the image above will be too much force or not enough?

Here is what I'm thinking of buying.

To be stacked in rows to send down a ball:
https://www.amazon.com/d/Magnets/first4magnets-F30155BK-Thick-Epoxy-Coated-Neodymium-Black/B00FAPVEV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490807779&sr=8-2&keywords=B008UABT6G|B00TACKBWG|B003FBLS8O|B008U9TN92|B003FBNR60|B008U9TPQ8|B00TACM59S|B00TACM278|B00TACLYTK|B00382J9UO|B00TACLSHI|B00TACLS8W|B00TACLM5Q|B008U9TJYQ|B008UABU42|B00TACLPN0|B007JTMQIO|B008U9S0T6|B008U9TZZE|B00HA8BI4M|B00TACLJ5Y|B00TACKBGC|B00EYBSCRE|B00FAPVEV4|B0057X3FNY|B00TACG4ZE|B00HADU334|B00HA8V85G|B00FBG6GEW|B00F9A0P6U|B003MWAJ1I|B0022TF9IU

The balls which I might send down until I find something better
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4KFC5G/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Alanay said:
Basically yes, it's a personal project. I've applied for a weapons engineering job and wanted to be able to put a few things on my CV. I've wanted to do this for a while anyway.

Are you aware that this is a public forum, and that it can be discovered by search engine and read by anyone including children?

Likes Comeback City
Alanay said:
Thank you, do you know if 30 x 15 x 5 mm with 10 kg force stacked in rows as shown in the image above will be too much force or not enough?
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this weapon (I hope this is something safe). How fast do you want to shoot the magnets?

anorlunda said:
Are you aware that this is a public forum, and that it can be discovered by search engine and read by anyone including children?
Yes, it's not like making a magnetic rail gun is in any way illegal. At least not in my country.

Comeback City said:
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this weapon (I hope this is something safe). How fast do you want to shoot the magnets?
For now just enough to shoot through a thin piece of plywood, maybe several mm thick. Then stronger later on.

I've ordered the magnets, I'll post back here with any results I get and the arrangement I used.

As far as I know, permanent magnets can't provide any acceleration in this kind of setup. The repulsive forces will equal the attractive forces as the magnet passes through the tube and you'll just get the same output velocity as the input.

Drakkith said:
As far as I know, permanent magnets can't provide any acceleration in this kind of setup. The repulsive forces will equal the attractive forces as the magnet passes through the tube and you'll just get the same output velocity as the input.
I'm talking about something like this:

Drakkith said:
Don't particle accelerators work in a similar way though (except with electricity instead of magnetism)?

Likes Alanay
Comeback City said:
Don't particle accelerators work in a similar way though (except with electricity instead of magnetism)?
I believe so yes, that would be like a gauss cannon/coilgun I believe.

Alanay said:
I'm talking about something like this:

I looked at the video, and what I think is happening is that the two guys put energy into the system when they bring the "shuttle" magnet towards the rail. Then it gets propelled through the rail, and the friction at the end makes it stop. Otherwise it would have started returning.

Likes Alanay

1. How does a magnet send a metal ball through a pipe?

Magnets use magnetic force to attract and repel objects. When a magnet is placed near a metal ball, the magnetic force pulls the ball towards the magnet. This force can be strong enough to push the ball through a pipe.

2. What type of magnet is best for sending a metal ball through a pipe?

Neodymium magnets, also known as rare-earth magnets, are the strongest type of permanent magnet and are commonly used for this purpose. They have a strong magnetic field that can easily move a metal ball through a pipe.

3. Can any metal ball be used with a magnet to go through a pipe?

Yes, any metal ball that is attracted to a magnet can be used for this experiment. However, the size and weight of the ball may affect the strength of the magnetic force and how easily it can be moved through the pipe.

4. Will the pipe affect the movement of the metal ball?

The material and thickness of the pipe can affect the movement of the metal ball. A thinner and lighter pipe may allow for easier movement, while a thicker and heavier pipe may create more resistance. Additionally, the pipe must be made of a non-magnetic material, such as plastic or aluminum, for the magnet to have an effect on the ball.

5. Can the magnet be placed anywhere on the pipe to move the metal ball?

The placement of the magnet is important for successfully moving the metal ball through the pipe. The magnet should be placed at the top of the pipe, directly above the ball, to create a strong magnetic force that can pull the ball upwards. Placing the magnet in other areas may not have enough force to move the ball through the pipe.