Can Mathematica Solve the Integral for Exponential Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving certain integrals using Mathematica. The integrals in question involve exponential functions with trigonometric terms, and while Mathematica is unable to solve some of them, it can solve others. The conversation also mentions a known integral that Mathematica cannot solve, but it is able to solve a simpler integral. The speaker is seeking help and insight on the matter.
areslagae
Hello all,

I am trying to solve an integral with Mathematica, but I do not succeed. I am wondering whether the integral cannot be solved, or whether Mathematica cannot solve the integral, or whether I am doing something wrong.

Details:

* Mathematica does not seem to be able to solve the integral below:

With[{fx = fr Cos[ft],
fy = fr Sin[ft]}, \[ExponentialE]^(-2 \[Pi]^2 ((f^2 + fx^2) sx^2 +
fy^2 sy^2)) Cosh[4 f fx \[Pi]^2 sx^2]]
Integrate[%^2, {ft, 0, 2 Pi}]

* For sx = sy, Mathematica can solve the integral:

With[{fx = fr Cos[ft], fy = fr Sin[ft],
sx = sy}, \[ExponentialE]^(-2 \[Pi]^2 ((f^2 + fx^2) sx^2 +
fy^2 sy^2)) Cosh[4 f fx \[Pi]^2 sx^2]]
Integrate[%^2, {ft, 0, 2 Pi}]

\[ExponentialE]^(-4 (f^2 + fr^2) \[Pi]^2 sy^2) \[Pi] (1 +
BesselI[0, 8 f fr \[Pi]^2 sy^2])

* I am suspicious because Mathematica also does not solve the following known integral:

Integrate[Exp[x Cos[t] + y Sin[t]], {t, 0, 2 Pi}]

which equals

2 \[Pi] BesselI[0, Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]]

* However, Mathematica does solve the integral below

Integrate[Exp[x Cos[t]], {t, 0, 2 Pi}]

2 \[Pi] BesselI[0, x]

Any help and/or insight is appreciated.

Ares Lagae

Mathematics news on Phys.org
latex doesn't seem to be working for you.

Related to Can Mathematica Solve the Integral for Exponential Functions?

What is the integral of exponential?

The integral of exponential is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve of an exponential function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the value of exponential functions at specific points.

How do you find the integral of exponential?

To find the integral of exponential, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use online calculators or software programs to compute the integral.

What is the formula for the integral of exponential?

The general formula for the integral of exponential is ∫exdx = ex + C, where C is a constant of integration. This formula can be extended to include other constants and variables in the exponent, such as ∫axdx = (ax/ln(a)) + C.

What are the applications of the integral of exponential?

The integral of exponential has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to growth and decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It is also used in the calculation of probabilities and in the solution of differential equations.

What are the important properties of the integral of exponential?

Some important properties of the integral of exponential include linearity, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and integration by substitution. It also follows the rules of integration, such as the power rule and the constant multiple rule. Additionally, the integral of exponential is a continuous and differentiable function.