Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can my CPU temperature be less than room temp?

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    Is it possible that my cpu temp could be less than room temp with a standard fan and heatsink? I've been hearing that it's completely impossible to go below ambient room temperature because the fan is simply blowing air and not cooling anything.

But what about when you turn the fan on in your room... doesn't it cool you? Is it physically impossible for a fan to cool you below room temperature?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a normal fan, it is totally impossible to get things below room temperature by just blowing air. However, there are exceptions possible. The simplest one is when the fan makes some liquid evaporate: as such it can be possible to get slightly below room temperature by lowering artificially the partial pressure of the liquid (by removing by convection the air above the liquid), so that evaporation will be favored more than at thermal equilibrium.
    A more sophisticated one is when there are high pressure differences because of the "fan" (which became a compressor now), and that one can have a kind of heat pump that way. But a normal fan cannot induce sufficiently high pressure differences to do that.

4. Mar 15, 2007 #3
    ok thanks for the response

5. Mar 15, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Three points of amplification:
    -A fan cools you normally because of convective heat transfer.
    -If your room is above body temp, a fan can still cool you because of evaporation of sweat. The surface temperature of your skin will be well below room temperature (at a temp which depends on the humidity).
    -Evaporative cooling (ie, a cooling tower) can provide 75% or so wet-bulb suppression. Ie, if the ambient temperature is 75F and the relative humidity is 50%, the wet bulb temperature (the minimum possible temperature due to evaporation) is 55F and a cooling tower can make 75-(75-55)*.75=60F water.

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, to come back to the OP, unless he has a very sophisticated PC with integrated cooling tower and water feed, I think it is safe to say that its CPU can never be cooler than ambient temperature...

7. Mar 19, 2007 #6
    Many CPUs on higher-end computers use heat sinks with heat pipes, which are based on evaporative cooling. Having said this, I don't think the CPU surface gets much below 50C.

8. Mar 11, 2010 #7
    I have to disagree. I have sitting on my desk a "USB Fridge." It is a simple box with a USB-powered fan which blows on a heat sink. It only takes a few moments and the surface temperature of the flat side (the side that would contact the CPU) gets very cold to the touch.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/96b3/

9. Mar 12, 2010 #8
    sure it is possible!
    even without a fan...
    it's a metal piece. it's naturally getting cold, even more than the room temperature.
    now it's very improbable, cause the cpu is working, and is near to bla bla bla.... but there are definitely materials that goes below rooms temperature by them self.
    even after you hit them, they'll come back to a be cool.

all of this bring me to one conclusion. i have to learn thermodynamics.

10. Mar 12, 2010 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

When you learn thermodynamics, you will learn that metal is not "naturally cold".

11. Mar 12, 2010 #10

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

There is more going on here ... there is a thermoelectric Peltier cooler inside that metal block that allows all this to work. You can see how to build one of these for yourself here:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/944184/diy_5_mini_usb_fridge/

12. Mar 12, 2010 #11
    yes, i know i probably said rubbish regarding technical terms, that why i mentioned i have to learn thermodynamics, but this is an empiric fact :P i have a lot of metal stuff here, and they are all definitely colder than the room temperature..

13. Mar 12, 2010 #12

Borek

Your empiric fact is that metal FEELS colder, not that it IS colder.

14. Mar 27, 2010 #13
    "metal FEELS colder, not that it IS colder"

Yeah, because my fingers and mouth (when I drink my cool drink) lie to me. :-)

15. Mar 27, 2010 #14

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably with a Peltier element, no ?

16. Mar 27, 2010 #15

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a way, yes. Because what happens is that metals are good conductors of heat, and if they are at a temperature below your body temperature, they will evacuate more heat from your fingers than would a bad conductor such as plastic. This results in a local lowering of the temperature of your finger which tells your brain that it is cold. If you do the same with a piece of plastic which is initially at the same temperature, then it evacuates less heat, and the finger will signal that it is less cold.

But if you keep a metal coin a long time in your hand so that it gets at your body temperature, it will not feel "cold".

On the other hand, a piece of metal at higher temperature than your body will feel much "hotter" than a piece of plastic at the same temperature, because now the heat flow is in the other direction.

17. Mar 27, 2010 #16

russ_watters

Missed one:
    Heat pipes will passively transfer energy from the chip to the heat sink, but they operate at constant pressure, so they can't lower the temperature below ambient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?